I have an RV-7 that has the old Apollo CNX80, Apollo Gemini EFIS, Trutrak 380 and round dials. I also have a vacuum system with another back-up ADI that I want to get rid of. I want the Garmin G5 because I like the interface and it’s a seemingly easy install to replace the current vacuum gyro ADI.

My question is: has anyone out there done a similar install with similar components? I really don’t need it connected to the auto pilot and if I can hook it up to the CNX80 that would be great but not required.

Any and all info appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan

GNS480/CNX80 interfaces perfectly with the G5. You will need a GAD29 to make the ARINC connections. G5 installation manual clearly covers how to connect these.

G5 should also be able to drive the Trutrak as well.

-Greg

I have an RV-7 that has the old Apollo CNX80, Apollo Gemini EFIS, Trutrak 380 and round dials. I also have a vacuum system with another back-up ADI that I want to get rid of. I want the Garmin G5 because I like the interface and it’s a seemingly easy install to replace the current vacuum gyro ADI.

My question is: has anyone out there done a similar install with similar components? I really don’t need it connected to the auto pilot and if I can hook it up to the CNX80 that would be great but not required.

Cheers,
Ryan

G5 Installation Considerations

Cheers,
Ryan

Good Morning Ryan,

Here is a link to download the G5 Installation Manual for Experimental Aircraft.

You will find an interconnect drawing specific to the GNS 480 on page 7-18 of the current revision, 10. The drawing includes all of the relevant configuration settings required for the two units to communicate with each other. 1 Serial connection and 3 ARINC 429 connections are required for this interface, and you will need a GAD 29 ARINC interface unit to facilitate the 429 connections.

Outside of the navigator interface, your G5 installation would be pretty straightforward. You provide a connection to aircraft power/ground, and the pitot/static pneumatic lines.

The G5 has an internal GPS antenna built into the unit, but it is recommended to connect a small glare shield mount antenna to the unit to provide it with a better view of the sky than it is capable of when mounted in the instrument panel.

Please let us know if you have any other questions that come up along the way. You can always reach out to us at [email protected] for assistance as well.

Thanks,

Justin