tjett

I am building a RV-8 and really like the Garmin G3X. My question is if I want to be able to fly IFR and have a autopilot while keeping the number of insturments and avionics to a minimum. What is the least that I need to have in the panel. It looks like the G3X does almost everything. Can I get away with a 430W, G3X,:rolleyes: Trutrak autopilot and transponder?:)

That's pretty similar to what I have in the RV I'm slowly building. In terms of the G3X, I'd suggest thinking about dual displays so you can use your MFD to show a big map or approach plates. (Disclaimer: I eat lunch at the Garmin cafeteria)

Regardless of whose EFIS you choose, I might suggest you also think about whether you want standby instruments. I went with a 2.25" airspeed indicator, altimeter, and TruTrak ADI, the latter simply because it's the cheapest way to display (pseudo) attitude information in a small format.

good luck,
mcb

P.S. I see you're writing from my old hometown! Enjoy a big greasy bag of cozies for me. ;)

Last edited:
I am building a RV-8 and really like the Garmin G3X. My question is if I want to be able to fly IFR and have a autopilot while keeping the number of insturments and avionics to a minimum. What is the least that I need to have in the panel. It looks like the G3X does almost everything. Can I get away with a 430W, G3X,:rolleyes: Trutrak autopilot and transponder?:)

Yep...if you're at OSH, stop by - we have one installed in an RV8 panel to look at. We've done a few of them just like you are referring and it works out really well and really clean.

Cheers,
Stein

I am building a RV-8.....can I get away with a 430W, G3X, Trutrak autopilot and transponder?

That will certainly work but you may want to consider another attitude source in case the G3X goes TU. Another Garmin G3X (and either a standby alternator or a backup battery source for the G3X), or someone else's attitude indicator at a minimum. At one time I had a panel similar to what you are describing using Dynon equipment, and while it was legal, I did not consider it safe for IFR. I now have two redundant attitude indicators (each with battery backup), plus a G696 (with internal battery) which I can use with its GPS derived 6 pack to keep the blue side up. My TT AP will also keep the blue side up without any other equipment being functional. What you wind up installing all depends on your comfort level, and what type of IFR you intend to fly. If you will be flying low IFR, 2 attitude indicators (with at least one with a secondary power source) is a must IMO. If you only want to climb or descend through a cloud deck every now and then then it would be your choice based on your comfort level if you need 2 attitude indicators. As most things are, it all depends!

The new Gemini series would be a nice choice to cover your backup and AP needs. If you can wait for em that is...

What is the difference in functionality between the Tru Trak GX autopilot and the Digi Flight II autopilot?

Will the Digi Flight II work with a G3X?

What is the difference in functionality between the Tru Trak GX autopilot and the Digi Flight II autopilot?

Will the Digi Flight II work with a G3X?

The GX pilot offers complete, seemless integration with the G3X system on a level that can't be attained using the Digiflight II VSGV. The VSGV will work as well, you just won't get the same ease of use. AP functionally, they are identical which is why they are priced the same. :)

To add to what Lucas said...

A DigiFlight II works with the G3X just like it does with most anything else.

Using a GX Pilot with the G3X system opens up all of the integrated features described in Chaper 9 of the G3X pilot's guide. From the pilot's point of view, the operating logic is very much like the certified systems you might see in a new store-bought airplane. Maybe one of the folks who already have one installed will be able to chime in here...

cheers,
mcb

The GX pilot offers complete, seemless integration with the G3X system on a level that can't be attained using the Digiflight II VSGV. The VSGV will work as well, you just won't get the same ease of use. AP functionally, they are identical which is why they are priced the same. :)

Question for Lucas....

Are there any features the GX Pilot has that the AFS branded TT DF II VSVG does not? My AFS EFIS system is highly integrated with the TT/AFS AP, and wondered what features, if any, the GX Pilot offers over the AFS system. I read the G3X manual and both systems look to be very similar. Once I enter an approach in the G430W and arm the AFS EFIS, I don't need to touch anything other than the throttle and the airplane will fly an ILS or a GPS VNAV approach like it is on rails. Thanks

Question for Lucas....

Are there any features the GX Pilot has that the AFS branded TT DF II VSVG does not? My AFS EFIS system is highly integrated with the TT/AFS AP, and wondered what features, if any, the GX Pilot offers over the AFS system. I read the G3X manual and both systems look to be very similar. Once I enter an approach in the G430W and arm the AFS EFIS, I don't need to touch anything other than the throttle and the airplane will fly an ILS or a GPS VNAV approach like it is on rails. Thanks

Kinda sorta but not really - they are the same but different - how's that for an answer!?? The GX pilot like the AF pilot was a collaborative effort between the manfacturer of the A/P and manufacturer of the EFIS. MANY, many hours of actual flight testing went in to the testing/tweaking/flying the A/P in actual RV's and other aircraft at the factory long before it was ever released to the public...(this was the case for both Garmin, AFS and the bygone Chelton). There are differences, but they are related to the extremely good/tight interface to the G3X, just as the AF pilot is geared towards the interface witht he AFS stuff. Could/should you replace one with the other? I'd say no...they will work best with their designated EFIS. As always, the A/P's still of course work independently of the EFIS as well, which is fantastic for IFR redundancy. The straight/generic Digiflight II series will still work well with almost all of the EFISes, you just lose the beneficial "tweaking" that went into the EFIS specific series.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I guess my question was not clear....

What I meant to ask is this:

Will the GX Pilot AP working with the G3X EFIS provide essentially the same functionality as the AFS Pilot working with the AFS EFIS? In other words, does one system or the other provide a better overall integrated EFIS/AP system, or are they essentially the same? I did not mean to ask can you swap one AP for the other.... Sorry that I was not clear....hope I was this time :)

Yes, the G3X has a fuel totalizer. Go to Garmin's site and download the installation and pilot's manuals; all the info is in there.

To answer Jim's question about functions, the G3X/GX Pilot and AFS/AF Autopilot have nearly the same features. There are a couple of important caveats here.

1. Garmin allows you to control the autopilot head directly from the EFIS. In theory, you could remote mount the head and not miss a single feature. But you wouldn't do that, because it would be difficult to get to the setup menu, and you'd lose the ability to run the autopilot independently. With the AFS, you engage the autopilot by pushing the EFIS button on the head.

2. The AFS ports slightly different information to the autopilot. Right now, the Garmin only follows GPS-derived signals. It won't track a VOR or fly a coupled ILS approach. As I understand it, the AFS will. Garmin is sure to catch up on this feature, but it isn't there yet.

Otherwise, they'll both do things like follow a heading bug, fly a selected altitude, climb or descend to that selected altitude, follow nav instructions. The Garmin will fly to an altitude by a commanded pitch attitude or vertical speed; I believe the AFS does only vertical speed.

2. The AFS ports slightly different information to the autopilot. Right now, the Garmin only follows GPS-derived signals. It won't track a VOR or fly a coupled ILS approach. As I understand it, the AFS will. Garmin is sure to catch up on this feature, but it isn't there yet.

Yes, the AFS/Digiflight combination will do this. Dissapointing Garmin doesn't do this (yet?).

When connected to a G430 if the G3X has a curent database and the 430 doesn't and you are following a g430 flight plan what displays on the G3X if the 2 databases disagree on an identifier for a waypoint? Such as the FAA has changed an airport identifier.

When connected to a G430 if the G3X has a curent database and the 430 doesn't and you are following a g430 flight plan what displays on the G3X if the 2 databases disagree on an identifier for a waypoint? Such as the FAA has changed an airport identifier.

In cases like this, the G3X will always follow what the 430 is sending... so the position of the airport shown on the G3X MFD will agree with the 430.

I might also mention that the latest G3X software supports the display of complex leg shape data when connected to a WAAS navigator (GNS 430W or 530W). What this means is that you see all the same holding patterns, procedure turns, DME arcs, and so forth on your G3X moving map as you do on your 430W.

mcb

In cases like this, the G3X will always follow what the 430 is sending... so the position of the airport shown on the G3X MFD will agree with the 430.

I might also mention that the latest G3X software supports the display of complex leg shape data when connected to a WAAS navigator (GNS 430W or 530W). What this means is that you see all the same holding patterns, procedure turns, DME arcs, and so forth on your G3X moving map as you do on your 430W.

mcb

Matt, will I see all the same goodies on just a GDU375 (i.e. without the G3X "full meal deal") and a 430W, with the two units "linked" via serial connection (assuming the latest software/updates for both)? Thanks!

Last edited:
When running a flight plan from a 430W where will the G3X in syn vision mode derive it's terrain and obstacle data from? The 430 or it's own data base.

(Yes I am trying to avoid the price of 2 28 day cycle updates.):eek:

Matt, will I see all the same goodies on just a GDU375 (i.e. without the G3X "full meal deal") and a 430W, with the two units "linked" via serial connection (assuming the latest software updates for both)?

That ought to work... a single GDU 37x is designed to be able to operate as a standalone MFD without AHRS/air data/etc if you so choose, so this application should be just fine.

mcb

When running a flight plan from a 430W where will the G3X in syn vision mode derive it's terrain and obstacle data from? The 430 or it's own data base.

(Yes I am trying to avoid the price of 2 28 day cycle updates.):eek:

Synthetic vision on the G3X uses the GDU units' own databases to display terrain, airports, obstacles, and so forth.

I'll be at Oshkosh all week showing off our snazzy new G3X demo panel, so come on by if you're at the show and I'll give you a tour! :)

mcb

Follow-on Data Base question

As a follow-on to Milt's data base question, where do you get the data to update the G3X -- Garmin or Jepp? What's the cycle update cost? Does the number of displays matter? Nice to know info for those of us still panel planning and trying to gage what the operating costs will be.

As a follow-on to Milt's data base question, where do you get the data to update the G3X -- Garmin or Jepp? What's the cycle update cost? Does the number of displays matter? Nice to know info for those of us still panel planning and trying to gage what the operating costs will be.

All databases currently available for G3X are available from the "Fly Garmin" website: http://fly.garmin.com/

I believe G3X databases are priced in line with databases for the Garmin portable GPS units. If you have multiple displays in one aircraft, you only pay once (i.e. updating a three display panel costs the same as a single-screen panel).

mcb

Matt,

I see that Garmin has formally announced 2 very attractive options for displaying geo-referenced approach charts on the 695/696. Are these 2 options also going to be available if you're flying with the panel mounted GDU 370/375? The Garmin press release I read did not mention the GDU units one way or the other, so I'm hoping you can provide a clarification. Thanks!