Status
Not open for further replies.

TXGold

I'm New Here
I am going to put in a 2 screen G3X system, GTX23 remote, Trutrak GX Pilot AP. This will give me mostly what I want for now. When I have the jack I will put a GMA240, WAAS GPS, SL30.

But for now, I'd like to only put the least in I can and have an autopilot that works well, TV screens, and a TIS system of some sort. This will limit my cost of equipment to around $16K with a few harnesses thrown in and installation not included. Any idea on what installation might be, ballpark?

What I would like to do is keep the Narco MK12D's that are currently in the plane and hook them up for ILS use on the G3X. Is this possible or do I have to use Garmin nav's?

Hopefully a sensor will be available for purchased to make the G3X compliant without having to drop 8-10K on a Garmin WAAS unit. Anyone heard anything about this?

Also, I have been told to hold off as long as possible, is there anything new coming out soon that I should try and wait 6 months to upgrade my panel for? People talk about stuff coming out for Oshkosk, but where are ya'll hearing the news for new stuff released this July? Here? Or is there a good webpage that has news on newly released avionic goodies?

Thanks,
TXGold

Ok, thanks. You are right about that. But that still doesn't answer my question. Will the G3X accept other navs and comm's and still interface on the gdu's?

I'd really like to keep cost down until I can upgrade to a gma, new nav/com, and some sort of waas sensor to supplement the g3x to make it possible to file /G. To my knowledge nothing on the waas thingamajig or an affordable solution to the alternate which is at minimum an $8500 obsolete 430w. I thought the whole thing behind the G3X was affordability for experimentals.

I don't have a G3 so I cannot answer your question directly.
I have GRT Horizons and they have analog inputs that will accept the signals which otherwise drive the CDI needles. I would be surprised if the G3 doesn't have something similar. This simple hook up will not work for VORs, just localizer and GS.

But how will you determine the outer marker fix? You need a MB receiver, or ADF (!), or ifr approved GPS to do that.

Just to be clear, WAAS GPS is not expensive; it is the units which meet the IFR TSO standard that are expensive. I think you can find a used G400W (GPS only, no com or VOR) for $6K or less.

If you only have one nav/com and a GPS, why not skip the audio panel and get just an intercom, save a few dollars.

You can also do the installation yourself; Garmin will require you to buy a pre-built harness. Have the harness built now for everything you want in the future, that will also save time and money.

PS. IMHO "Garmin" and "affordability" don't really go together.

Other options for you would be to buy older, TSO 129 (not WAAS) gps for about $2K. But there would be a real obsolesence/support issue, I frankly would not recommend it.

The only thing I have heard is coming is that GRT has promised TSO129 GPS units at less than Garmin's price. So far I don't think they have delivered any. But you might look and see if a GRT Sport and the promised ifr GPS would be a better match to your needs and budget.

The G3X requires digital ARINC-429 interfaces for both the GPS and LOC/GS interfaces, so if your old radio don't have this kind of output they the G3X will not work with it.

What I would like to do is keep the Narco MK12D's that are currently in the plane and hook them up for ILS use on the G3X. Is this possible or do I have to use Garmin nav's?

TXGold,

Thanks for choosing a G3X system for your upgrade.

As others have correctly pointed out, G3X doesn't accept analog signals from ILS receivers. As shown in the G3X installation manual, a single RS-232 interface is used to interface an SL30 NAV/COM to G3X should you decide to go that route. Similarly, a single RS-232 interface is used to interface to radios like the SL40 COM radio should you wish to use features like being able to remotely tune the COM radio from the airport frequency page.

G3X also comes standard with all the ARINC 429 interfaces you would need to interface to a large selection of IFR navigators as shown in the installation manual when/if you are ready to do that.

Since you have chosen the GTX23ES transponder, you would probably want to choose an IFR navigator that has a WAAS GPS receiver since this is presently required by FAR 91.227 as a position source for ADS-B Out compliance. With a 1090 ES transponder like the GTX23ES, you will be able to fly anywhere, including Class A airspace, when the 2020 mandate kicks in. Add a low cost non-certified ADS-B receiver for traffic and weather, and you are all set for ADS-B In/Out.

Please contact us via email or phone if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.