flydoc

At Oshkosh, the Garmin reps were indicating that they would update the G3X units to include Highway in the Sky and Geo-referenced approach plates. For those in the know :), is there any word on this? Trying to finalize panel decisions.
Thanks!
Mark Hanley
Arlington, TX
Finishing up RV-10

I would say that those are two things that any manufacturer that wants to play in this market is going to have to have to compete. I am sure Garmin has em in the works. Only my opinion and that is worth what you paid for it...

snip.....and Geo-referenced approach plates. ....snip

Already out (from this link):

Changes made from version 3.20 to 4.00:

• Added support for Jeppesen ChartView and geo-referenced FliteCharts.
  • Added display of calculated power for Lycoming and Continental engines.
  • Added ability to use VNAV when using an external GPS navigation source.
  • Added softkey to Terrain page to quickly enable or disable terrain alerts.
  • Added display of GSU tilt angle values during pitch/roll offset calibration.
  • Added display of navaid frequency to PFD bearing pointer data fields.
  • Added menu options to Comm configuration page to change NMEA data transmit rate.
  • Changed screenshot utility to flash the screen to indicate when a screenshot has been saved.
  • Changed to use actual GSU data for discrete inputs when in demo mode.
  • Updated magnetic variation model.
  • Improved visibility of runways on synthetic vision.
  • Improved visibility of extended runway centerlines on map.
  • Improved RPM display when using electronic ignition tach output.
  • Improved filtering of engine gauge data.
  • Improved engine and airframe timers.
  • Improved display of flight plan data when using MapMX RS-232 input.
  • Improved database update page in reversionary mode.
  • Improved label spacing on Weight & Balance page.
  • Improved display of FSS and ARTCC frequency Rx/Tx designators for consistency with Garmin certifed navigators.
  • Improved frequency type display when transmitting frequency list to SL30/40 comm radio.
  • Improved PFD autopilot status display.
  • Improved PFD flight path marker in demo mode.
  • Improved Drive Simulator page to allow altitude and heading adjustments when autopilot is configured but not engaged.
  • Improved system operation with three displays.

The G3X is at an exciting place in it's life cycle - the hardware is out there, very solid, and new software drops are going to have lots of new stuff every time - if they follow the model of the other EFIS guys.

As Doug listed - 4.0 had a lot of new stuff - I figure that since we still need an engine and prop for our -3, there's plenty of time for a couple more drops before first flight!

Note that the geo-referenced approach plates are only when you "upgrade" to the Jeppesen flight charts, the current software does not work on the NACO-based plates that are already in the system.

I'm told getting the geo-referencing working on the NACO plates is underway.

HITS

Thanks, everyone for the info. One thing I would like to have in an EFIS is HITS or some type of guidance other than the HSI presentation. Maybe it is my limited brain cells :confused:, but I can't find HITS in any of the updates published on the Garmin website. I am sure if it its not included now, it will be shortly.
I have decided to go all Garmin G3X with a Garmin radio stack, or all Advanced EFIS's or some combination of the two. I will also have Tru-Trak's Auto Pilot that works with the primary EFIS. If my understanding is correct, the Auto-Pilot will act as a backup in case of catastrophic failure. I understand that having them all the same makes things much easier for data entry in that when you enter info or an approach into the G-430 it will automatically show up on all of the displays. For those that have dis-similar EFIS displays for backup and redundancy, if you were doing it over again, would you keep them dis-similar? I see advantages to both ways of doing this. Data entry in a high workload situation such as in IMC is important, but I want the most practical and safest system.

Thanks again! I greatly appreciate all of the feed back from this list and all of the work that Doug puts into coordinating our thoughts and ideas!

Mark Hanley
[email protected]
Arlington, TX
Finishing my RV-10

One thing I should mention, since we get asked about HITS a lot at Dynon:

HITS doesn't come from the HSI.

To draw HITS, you need to know the full 3D path of the course you want. For instance, you need to know the actual glide slope angle, where the runway is in the real world, and where you are in the real world. An HSI doesn't know any of that. It just knows if you are left, right, up, or down at that given moment. A VLOC radio also doesn't know any of that, it just knows if you are above or below the beam right now.

To draw hits you need a database of approaches. The system needs to know you are tuned to the ILS at Aspen, and the glide slope there is 3.50 degrees, not just the 3.0 "default" which can ruin your day at a lot of airports.

All of this is of course possible in a well integrated system that knows a lot, but it isn't just as simple as drawing the HSI as boxes on the PFD screen.

One thing I should mention, since we get asked about HITS a lot at Dynon:

To draw HITS, you need to know the full 3D path of the course you want. For instance, you need to know the actual glide slope angle, where the runway is in the real world, and where you are in the real world.

The Garmin rep I spoke with at OSH said the same thing, that it is not an easy thing to get HITS displaying correctly and that Garmin wouldn't release it until they did.

Mark Hanley
[email protected]
Arlington, TX
Finishing my RV-10