Any new features being shown on the G3X Touch at Sun-n-Fun?

Thanks!

Hi Steve,

One of the new features you can see at SNF is touch screen radio tuning for GTN 6XX/7XX navigators integrated into the G3X Touch displays. This requires new GTN software that is not available yet, but the pre-release GTN software we are running in the kiosks supports this new feature.

Some of you have been following the new wiring guidance in the last couple of versions of the G3X Installation manual to incorporate bi-directional MapMX wiring between the GTN and a display. This supports this new feature when the GTN software becomes available.

As an example of this new flexibility, you could have your COM1 radio function being provided by your GTN 650 and your COM2 radio function provided by a remotely mounted GTR 20 radio, and yet the tuning interface on the displays is consistent and efficient.

Something else new at SNF is a new 3 display G3X Touch kiosk that is strapped for PFD1, MFD1, and MFD2 displays. Ask us to fly a coupled LPV approach with all those MFD screens setup to show the instrument approach on the moving map and a large geo-referenced approach plate (also showing the aircraft position) on the 10.6" wide MFD2 and we are sure it will put a smile on your face and instill confidence when you use it in real flight conditions.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it down there this year.

Question regarding the COM feature... I'm currently controlling my SL30 from the G3X and that works quite nicely (except you can't do the freq. swap from the G3X, but that's minor.) Will the new feature allow the G3X to control both the GTN and the SL30 simultaneously?

Thanks, and have a great show!

ADS-B request

Steve,

Is there a current or future interface for the G3X touch and the GDL-88 with the WAAS reciever. I could skip buying a GTN 650/750, and just go the route of the GDL-88, that would fit my mission much better than an IFR GPS.

Thanks for the help.

Brian, Dan, thanks for the reply. So as long as the G3x is fed by certified receivers, it's legal to use in IFR?

Thanks

Brian, Dan, thanks for the reply. So as long as the G3x is fed by certified receivers, it's legal to use in IFR?

Thanks

Yes. Absolutely. Positively. Unequivocally. :)

When you're using the GTN (or any other certified Garmin GPS receiver) with the G3X what you see on the G3X is actually coming from the external source, and you control everything (flight plan, OBS mode, CDI source, direct-to, procedures, etc.) directly on the certified device. When in OBS mode on the GTN, or when selecting your nav course the course knob on the G3X can be used. You can also view the GTN's flight plan on the G3X, but you must change it on the GTN.

For VFR flying you can switch to the G3X's internal GPS, but I prefer to just leave mine set to the external device (GTN 650 in my case) so I'm using it consistently instead of going back and forth. Less confusing for my pea brain!

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it down there this year.

Question regarding the COM feature... I'm currently controlling my SL30 from the G3X and that works quite nicely (except you can't do the freq. swap from the G3X, but that's minor.) Will the new feature allow the G3X to control both the GTN and the SL30 simultaneously?

Hello Steve,

Yes. For example you could use a GTN 650 as COM1 and and an SL30 as COM2, and control them both from the G3X Touch displays.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Is there a current or future interface for the G3X touch and the GDL-88 with the WAAS reciever. I could skip buying a GTN 650/750, and just go the route of the GDL-88, that would fit my mission much better than an IFR GPS.

Thanks for the help.

Hello Aaron,

We don't currently have any plans to provide a G3X interface to the GDL88.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the help.

With the 23ES and GDL39R I get ADS-B In and Out today in my Cub, since I don't need a certified GPS source until 2020. Lots of products will come to market between now and then.

G3X comm features

Although the answer to this question is yes please note that you will still need an audio panel. The G3X has no way of differentiating which comm the headset is plugged into, an audio panel is recommended for all dual comm installations.