AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

Do you know if Garmin G3X will survive if you turn it on before engine start up, I haven't found any warning on manual that said that should be off during engine start up or you will fry it:eek:

happy flying

Hi Folks,

Do you know if Garmin G3X will survive if you turn it on before engine start up, I haven't found any warning on manual that said that should be off during engine start up or you will fry it:eek:

happy flying

I always have my PFD on before starting but i do have a "Battery back-up" (IBBS 12v 4A) connected to my PFD. The start procedure for the battery backup is to fire up connected unit before turning on master to ensure it is functioning correctly.

I always have my PFD on before starting but i do have a "Battery back-up" (IBBS 12v 4A) connected to my PFD. The start procedure for the battery backup is to fire up connected unit before turning on master to ensure it is functioning correctly.

Do you leave battery backup On all flight and turn it off after master???, so probably this battery backup it a must have.

Thank for your answer.

We also have an isolated Aux battery to power the G3X on our -3 during startup - has never so much as winked at us during engine start. I really haven't tried to start the engine with the G3X up and the Aux battery off, so I can't tell you exactly what will happen, but I expect it is well protected (most modern electronics are ). It is so easy to implement multiple power feeds theses days - the G3X (like other EFIS's) are already set up to take them.

Paul

Should not be problem

I have never seen a G3X system damaged from engine start. You will need at least one screen powered so you can have engine indication during the start (oil pressure). At minimum, one screen (GDU) and the GSU-73 should be on the main power buss. What I have seen is the system re-boot if your main aircraft battery is low and you crank the engine. This will cause the voltage to drop below what the G3X will need. No harm done except maybe you will have to reload a flight plan. I do recommend using a backup battery such as the TCW IBBS system to prevent this problem.

I always had my G3X on before start (no aux battery) never noticed any problems.