bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
I am trying to find out if other G3X owners have noticed this. I use to be able to select animate weather before SW ver 10.60. Now with both 10.60 and 10.70 I can no longer select animate weather that option is greyed out. Here are some screen shots that show that my weather is being received just like it should but the animate weather option is not available. Can somebody check this out for me and see if it is like that on your system also. I believe this is a new software issue. I have sent this info to the Garmin G3X team for their review also, awaiting a reply.
Let me know what you guys find, thanks!

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

I was using my xm wx as the source and noticed it took a long long time to animate. Probably downloading all the images. Eventually it animated. I did not try it with FIS wx. I will check it out tomorrow.

I was using my xm wx as the source and noticed it took a long long time to animate. Probably downloading all the images. Eventually it animated. I did not try it with FIS wx. I will check it out tomorrow.

Bill, as you can see in my pictures the animate option is greyed out and can't even be selected. Let me know if yours is greyed out.

Last edited:
Bobby, today I was able to get out to the hangar and check my G3X for the Animate Weather feature as you requested. I have V10.70 installed. My 'Animate Weather' is also grayed out just like yours. I guess this is a question for Garmin at this point.

I checked the Pilot's Manual, revision M, "Animating FIS-B Weather:" on page 226, and there is no reference as to why this would be unavailable.

Got a reply from Garmin

Garmin checked it out and gave me this reply:

FIS-B CONUS Nexrad updates only occur every 15 minutes (twice as long as XM weather), and it needs two of those updates to enable weather animation.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_00-63A.pdf

Regional Nexrad updates occur every 5 mins, so we will consider supporting animation sooner based on this. We are still looking into this.

---------------

So I guess when I saw it before it must have been on a flight over 1 hr. , so I'll have to check it out on the next flight over an hour.

I'm hoping they get it to animate regional weather quicker since a lot of my flights are less than an hour and sometimes it would be nice to animate it to see which direction it is moving.

I have been hesitant to cancel my XM WX subscription for this reason. The slow refresh rate and also and the lack of resolution provided by FIS radar still leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully in the future this will improve.