RT2389

I'm New Here
Would like to see what others are running. Garmin G3X in an RV10, works great when smooth but any turbulence and the pitch sensitivity is too much it seems like and it begins to porpoise and try to remain at altitude. Would like to see it less sensitive in turbulence. What is everyone else running on their gain settings?

Thanks
N347JK

Would like to see what others are running. Garmin G3X in an RV10, works great when smooth but any turbulence and the pitch sensitivity is too much it seems like and it begins to porpoise and try to remain at altitude. Would like to see it less sensitive in turbulence. What is everyone else running on their gain settings?

Thanks
N347JK
I fly a 14 so similar pitch sensitive set-up. Vans has a recommended Garmin G3X A/P (For a 14) set-up and initially used that. Like others had a porpoising issues in cruise. Tried changing the gains and no luck. What did help was reducing the pitch trim speeds. From 100% at the fast setting to 75% and at the slow setting from 40% to 30%. Screenshot from this morning. Have been running with this setting for the better part of 3 years. Cruise and approaches very smooth.

Attachments

• TRIMSET6.jpg
    TRIMSET6.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 30
  • TRIMSET68.jpg
    TRIMSET68.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 28
I fly a 14 so similar pitch sensitive set-up. Vans has a recommended Garmin G3X A/P (For a 14) set-up and initially used that. Like others had a porpoising issues in cruise. Tried changing the gains and no luck. What did help was reducing the pitch trim speeds. From 100% at the fast setting to 75% and at the slow setting from 40% to 30%. Screenshot from this morning. Have been running with this setting for the better part of 3 years. Cruise and approaches very smooth.
My pitch trim speed at cruise is 25%. i had it at 15% but wouldnt alt capture very well.

Thanks
N347JK
Auto pilot setup pitch. This works for me.
pitch servo torque 50 %
pitch servo gain 0.65
min air speed limit 65 kt
max air speed limit 200 kt
vertical speed gain 0.45
vertical accel gain 0.5
air speed gain 0.5

Good luck

I set the max and min speeds with a little more margin, 10% margin at the top end and 30% over stall speed. Max speed at vne does allow any margin at all!

Thanks
N347JK
I have the G3x in my 10 and it is rock solid in pitch, even in turbulence. You need to keep playing with the gain setting. More than just following the instructions. Need to keep going up and down with the value until it behaves. There is some general guidance on which symptoms point to too much vs too little gain.

a critical step outlined in the manual is to get the pitch gain just right first, THENNNN move on to the vertical speed gain. Otherwise you just chase your tail and never get it solid.

Last edited: