mhcflyer

Well Known Member
I'm planning a purely VFR installation. I also want to DIY build as much of the plane as possible I haven't been able to get some hands-on time with a GAP 26 unheated Pitot probe. Can some of the AOA "open-source" probes (with pitot/AOA ports at 45degrees) be made to work with the Garmin AOA inputs?

Just wondering.

==
Michael

I think this is the penny wise penny foolish time. You have a designed system to give you dependable information why save a few $ after your past investment for a "relatively few" pennies?

I think this is the penny wise penny foolish time. You have a designed system to give you dependable information why save a few $ after your past investment for a "relatively few" pennies?

Agree, with the low cost (and very high quality) of the unheated version it hard to imagine wanting to roll your own, just my 2c.

Pitot

We just went back and changed out the full pitot static system. It was not as hard as I had thought it was going to be. We went with the Garmin pitot with heat but no control box, just like you would have in a Cessna 172. The Safe-air mast and their tubing kit was nice and the quick connectors saved a lot of time. It really was a good fit and not that much more money than some of the other pitots out on the market today. This may not help if you have your mind made-up. But I would do it again the same way.
Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

I followed what Mel did and made my own Pitot/AOA probe for my Dynon D100 system. I used 60 degrees for the AOA probe. It calibrated and works flawlessly. There is a picture of the probe in the link in my signature. If more pictures are needed I have more. For a strictly VFR aircraft I would build my own all over again.