dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
Garmin has Synthetic Vision in some of their displays such as the G500. Do any of you that are flying with the G3X know if Synthetic Vision is on the horizon for the G3X??

Yup - it's already there! I sit in our half-finished -3 cockpit with power on the displays and the system in "demo" mode, flying around the High Sierras.....really looks sweet!

Paul

cf-lg.jpg

..........................................................................................................

The G3X keeps getting features and functionality with each new software release. I'm really hoping that one day it will get HITS.

Try tapping "Garmin G3X price" into Google. Or calling one of the avionics vendors who advertise on this site.
Or, if you mean just the synthetic vision software upgrade, that is no additional charge.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing

$16K is without the rebate and gets you a GDU 370 plus a GPS antenna, GDU 375 plus a GPS/XM antenna, ADAHRS, Magnetometer, OAT probe, and a 6-cyl engine sensor package (I guess a little less for a 4 banger).

Autopilot (head or servos) is not inlcuded.

Rebate Check

I got my rebate check within 2 week of sending in the form. That impressed me. On the form it stated that it could take up to 6 to 8 weeks.

$16K is without the rebate and gets you a GDU 370 plus a GPS antenna, GDU 375 plus a GPS/XM antenna, ADAHRS, Magnetometer, OAT probe, and a 6-cyl engine sensor package .

One cost item that must be considered with the glass cockpit is database updates.

Lets say you have a G3X being driven by a Garmin 430 and you have a Garmin X96 or Aera as a backup and you carry an I Pad for your efb.

The 430 Nav dat MUST be current if you fly IFR, so add to that what you are going to do about keeping the other stuff updated.

Below is a link for Garmins pricing list for updates for the G3x and the portables. If you have a weak heart do not look at it.

Note that Garmin has bundles all of which require the full boat if you want Nav Data in combination with other info.

http://download.garmin.com/avdb/Garmin_Aviation_Database_Price_List.pdf

Cost of updates is a serious consideration when deciding on a glass panel vendor.

If you like Jep charts you can pay (I think) $499 to Garmin to unlock your G3X thus allowing you the "privilege" of buying a chart pack from Jeppesen and putting it on the G3X.

I would ben interested in hearing update strategies from thos with multiple whiz bang gizmos that require updates.

Last edited:
Well, I'm no where near to flying so this is subject to change, but my plan right now is to only update the G3X once a year which if I updated everything would be $395/yr. (one update can be used to update both GDUs unlike the GPS units)

The 430W, on the other hand, will have the standard subscription to keep it IFR current. The worst total cost for that (assuming full USA nav data from Jepp and the obstacle data subscription from Garmin) would be $730/yr.

So looking at an annual total of $1125 for the panel plus another $79 for FF on the iPad. Call it $1200/yr in data costs that I've added to the fixed cost portion of my operating budget.

The 430W point in irrelevant.

If you're going to fly IFR, you're going to pay that cost. It doesn't matter which EFIS you go with.

The 430W point in irrelevant.

If you're going to fly IFR, you're going to pay that cost. It doesn't matter which EFIS you go with.

If you are an accountant and view things as incremental cost you are correct. If you are the average joe with a budget for flight expenses or a budget strictly for charts or updates it is quite relevant.

Given you are going to update the 430W it will consume $XXX.

That leaves you with your ($budget-$XXX) to spend on other updates.

Depending on how much you have left in your budget if you wish to also keep your EFIS up to date it matters a lot which EFIS you choose or at least which update options you choose for the efis you install.