Cooperd0g

Just thinking of possible future panel configurations. I like the aspects of both the G3X and the GTN 750. Recent articles that I read about the GTN 750 suggested that having the second MFD screen on a G500 system was redundant when coupled with a GTN 750. That got me thinking about the G3X system.

A dual screen G3X gives you full PFD and MFD including engine monitoring. XM is available as well. Since the G3X has the GPS receiver built into it and all the data base information you don't need an additional G430/530/650/750. You do need a nav/comm though. A dual G3X plus a SL-30 nav/comm is going to run approximately $20,000.

A single screen G3X plus a GTN 750 gives you the full PFD and essentially an MFD with a built in nav/comm. You do not get engine monitoring though. This set up will cost approximately $28,000 and you still need to have engine instruments/monitor.

Since both need either a comm panel and transponder I left those out of the price equation. It seems like the panel mount and remote mount ones that the GTN 750 can control are about the same price. Screen real estate seems like it would be slightly less with the single G3X and GTN 750 since you only need engine instruments and the rest is remote mount whereas the dual G3X needs panel mount nav/comm, transponder, and comm panel.

Thoughts?

In short, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. With G3X alone, you'll never be able to shoot any RNAV approach.. and if that's a required capability, you'll need a "real" GPS (such as 430/530/480/650/750).... Capabilities of the two setups are not the same, even if prices are similar..

A dual or triple screen G3X system will still require a certified GPS to fly approaches. If you want to go with the new GTN series, get the 650 (or the GPS/comm without the VOR when available) and a Dual Screen G3X. You will wind up with a total of 3 GPSs, 1 certified and 2 backup...

Victor

Cooperdog,

I have the G3X system with the 430W and a GTS800.
I played with a GTN750 the other day and absolutely loved the touch screen! It is lightyears better than the 430/530. Super user friendly. I already knew how to use it and was punching in flightplans faster than the 430w that I somewhat already know. I wish I had the opportunity to buy it before I installed mine but that's the way it goes. I'm sure the 430/530's are dropping in price.

In short, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. With G3X alone, you'll never be able to shoot any RNAV approach.. and if that's a required capability, you'll need a "real" GPS (such as 430/530/480/650/750).... Capabilities of the two setups are not the same, even if prices are similar..

Ah, this was the missing piece of my knowledge. I was thinking "why do I need a 430/530/650/750?" Now I know why.

Thanks for the replies. The best set up may be the dual screen G3X with a 430 or 650 then.

Also a single screen setup offers no redundancy.

The 750 is cool, but not cool enough for the cost in an RV unless someone is going to give me one. King Air, or some other larger multi engine platform it makes sense in.

Also a single screen setup offers no redundancy.

The 750 is cool, but not cool enough for the cost in an RV unless someone is going to give me one. King Air, or some other larger multi engine platform it makes sense in.

I can see your point about redundancy and also putting such and expensive piece of gear in the plane.

Let me ask this: if you need a 430W at a minimum to go with the G3X in order to do RNAV approaches, why not get a G500 instead of the G3X? A G500 looks to be about the same price as a G3X, but it lacks engine monitoring I think.

Last edited:
I can see your point about redundancy and also putting such and expensive piece of gear in the plane.

Let me ask this: if you need a 430W at a minimum to go with the G3X in order to do RNAV approaches, why not get a G500 instead of the G3X? A G500 looks to be about the same price as a G3X, but it lacks engine monitoring I think.

Def not the same units, and you're right about the engine monitoring. The G500 starts at about $20K as near as I can tell. With the latest rebates the Trutrak GX and dual screen G3X came in a shade over $12K.

You're correct that you need an approach certified GPS to shoot GPS approaches. WAAS for LPV capability. The G3X does have a WAAS reciever but it's not intended for approach/IFR use.

The G500 was designed more as a steam replacement for production airplanes. The G3X is their LSA/AB setup. There are rumors floating of an experimental EFIS setup from Garmin that fills the void between the G900X and G3X, however Garmin does everything at Garmin's pace... so that's probably 3-4 years out if the rumors are true. For the price though the G500 doesn't get you any more capability over the G3X other than slightly bigger screens.

If it's size you're going for, maybe lean more towards Skyview or AFS?

It isn't really size I'm looking for. I'm more interested in efficiency and functionality. It seems like the G3X with a used 430W gives you the most bang for the buck with everything you could want at a minimum cost.

To be honest I don't even have an RV, but I'm really thinking of getting one in the next year. I'm too busy to build so I'd like to buy a used one, but lean towards one with basic instrumentation because I know I'll want to get it the way I want, but there won't be a rush to do it. Eventually I'll want it IFR capable to shoot approaches through marine layers like in Monterey or San Diego, nothing hard core. I love the look, speed, and efficiency of the RVs and I really like that being experimental you can change things around as you see fit.

Hey, you're in Reno... if you drive east down I-80 about an hour give me a shout. There are a few Reno RVers on here.

It isn't really size I'm looking for. I'm more interested in efficiency and functionality. It seems like the G3X with a used 430W gives you the most bang for the buck with everything you could want at a minimum cost.

To be honest I don't even have an RV, but I'm really thinking of getting one in the next year. I'm too busy to build so I'd like to buy a used one, but lean towards one with basic instrumentation because I know I'll want to get it the way I want, but there won't be a rush to do it. Eventually I'll want it IFR capable to shoot approaches through marine layers like in Monterey or San Diego, nothing hard core. I love the look, speed, and efficiency of the RVs and I really like that being experimental you can change things around as you see fit.

For what you say you want to do, if you want to go Garmin for the EFIS, you have it exactly right -the G3X and a 430W is a heck of a unit, especially when coupled to the GXPilot, which was made for it. We have been "flying" ours in demo mode in our under-construction RV-3 now for a few months, and e get new features with every software drop.

Paul

For the price though the G500 doesn't get you any more capability over the G3X other than slightly bigger screens.

I stay as far away from marketing-type stuff as I can, but I wanted to point out here that the 7" screen on a GDU 37x (G3X display unit) has about 5% more area than one of the 6.5" screens on a GDU 620 (G500/G600 display unit).

mcb

I stay as far away from marketing-type stuff as I can, but I wanted to point out here that the 7" screen on a GDU 37x (G3X display unit) has about 5% more area than one of the 6.5" screens on a GDU 620 (G500/G600 display unit).

mcb

Really? Guess I should read the marketing stuff... the G500 just looked bigger to me for some reason.