Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
I posted this on another list also in hopes that somebody linked to Garmin will take the idea and run with it. The following seems like an easy item for them to add to the databases of their products that will make them a much better or safer aid to cross country flying.

I often wonder while traveling in the plane about drop zones and whether or not we are going to bust thru one while the crazy's are falling from perfectly good airplanes. On longer trips we use wac charts and if they are depicted I never see them during planning and as we cruise along every once in a while we will hear some fast talking, word slurring, and very cool pilot of a jump plane rattle off a warning of jumping in some area that is unknown to us. Living nowhere near, this quick dumping of useless information is simply worthless to anybody who flys off of their home sectional chart.

Because of this I wonder why Garmin for instance doesn't put the drop zones in the database for their products. They are giving everything else such as TFR's, restricted areas, MOA's, and more. Even the tethered balloons show up on the screens but no stinking drop zones. It would be so helpful to have the option to turn on or off some kind of small depiction of a parachute that outlines the drop zones so no matter where we are flying we will not inadvertantly blast thru a gaggle of free falling humans. What do you all think? Does anybody have access to the folks at Garmin to make this suggestion?

Thanks,

Ditto!

We have several around here and it does concern me. Early this summer my wife and I went to 66G Frankenmuth for lunch and were aware of a drop zone near Saginaw well to the NE. I was very surprised when I landed at 66G to see that there was a lot of parachuting activity right over the airport. I checked to see that they were monitoring the field Unicom, but I think they were only transmitting to ATC. I never heard a word from them. Besides, the radio is quite optional at that grass field. And there was no NOTAM for 66G.

I think GPS depiction of DZs sounds like a good idea. ATC in our area is pretty good at notifying jump planes of traffic. Unfortunately, many jump planes spot by gps now and I see jumpers just hop out on the "GO/green light" without even looking below.

When flying in a known skydiving area I monitor ATC.

As a jumper and a pilot I have a natural skeptisim for both groups.

Rob - RV6 223RH