RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello everyone

I'm looking at a cheaper alternative than a GNS 430 to be able to fly NPA with my RV-4 and I was looking at this model GPS (Garmin Apollo GX50 ) and would like to know if anyone here has any experience flying NPA with one of those and how easy/hard was it to operate.

Also can the database still be updatable??

I'm planning to hook it up to my Dynon Skyview so if anyone has done it,I'm curious to know how you did it ( Serial or RS-232 ? )

Thank you for your imputs

Bruno
[email protected]

Yes, there are lots of them still around in use. We have several of them in our flight school planes.
Yes, the databases are still available.
You won't get much integration with the Dynon SkyView. Call tech support and ask them what you'll get, if anything.

The GX60 is the GPS/COMM version and I have been flying mine for 10-years now.

The down side is that the DISPLAY is no longer available but other than that, service is still available.

As for flying NPA, tie it to your TRIO EzPilot and all you need to do is control airspeed and altitude.

Garmin/Apollo GX-50

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info.

I looked at the GPS compatibility charts off the Dynon web site and Dynon can't confirm it will work with the Skyview but there's a good chance that it will.
--------------------
GPS and/or Nav Model Compatibility
Product
Product Settings / Notes Serial ARINC EFIS/EMS Settings HS34 Settings Known to work?
-------------------
Garmin GX50 Aviation X Auto Aviation:9600 No, but this GPS is very similar to the GX65 below, which is known to work
---------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
Gary
Do you require a separate annunciator panel with your GPS? I'm very space limited in my RV-4 and if I don't need it will be great.

Thanks again

Bruno

Gil & Gary

Thanks for the info, now I will have to find a place to put it..not an easy thing...:eek:

I need more room..:(

Bruno