Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I am close to buying a Garmin 296 or 496. Before I do, I thought I would just ask here if any one knows if Garmin will announce anything similar in say the next 6 mos.

I hat buying stuff and hearing of the next faster/cheaper version while I am still opening the box.

Thanks.

All manufacturers are careful to avoid pre-announcements. If they were not, their sales would drop drastically. I don't think you will see or hear anything about new products until they are ready to be introduced.

The 396 and 496 both debuted at Oshkosh, and possibly even the 296 (Don't remember that far back!)

How long can you wait to make the decision! :D

They are tight lipped!

I just spoke to Garmin about this very issue and was trying to get some insight into what a 596 might look like and when it's likely to be introduced.

He said, "garmin is always working on improvements and when they might release something is a BIG secret. The 496 was introduced in July 2007 at Oshkosh and maybe something would be introduced at that time." "We don't usually know until about ten day prior to the release, like the 495 for Sun-n-Fun," he said. However, he was pretty sure a number of dealers would buy back your current unit to upgrade to a new system.

Good luck! I'm in the same boat.