blueflyer

Well Known Member
I have a friend that has a Garmin Aera 510 that he is getting rid of. He asked me if I wanted it, but he just used it for driving (non-pilot). It just has street maps on it. Can I go to the Garmin website and load aviation maps on this 510?

I have an Aera 510 and would think yours came with aviation features. I've called Garmin before and have gotten excellent help with questions. I'd think if you updated the software from the Garmin site you'd be set. Definitely call them first though.

My 510 has a "set up" feature where you select street or aviation maps. I never had to load either, just change the settings. I have used my 510 in my car.

sounds like he just had somebody at the store set him up for street maps. He likely doesn't realize (or care) there are aviation maps loaded. thanks.

sounds like he just had somebody at the store set him up for street maps. He likely doesn't realize (or care) there are aviation maps loaded. thanks.

Hello Blueflyer,

Agree. All Aera 510 units are shipped with software that supports both aviation and auto modes and databases for each.

You can download the manual online and read more about it, but if you go to the Home Page you can touch the auto/airplane symbol at the top and change modes.

You can install the latest software and go to www.flygarmin.com to install new aviation databases.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve