g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
The Garmin Aera 79X portable GPS includes a Bluetooth interface that has never been put to use until now.

The new V3.10 software available for free download includes Bluetooth support for interfacing wirelessly to the Garmin GDL39 ADS-B dual frequency traffic and weather receiver. The new software image also includes a V2.51 update to the GDL39 which it will upload to that unit as a requirement for fully utilizing the new Bluetooth link.

A new manual is complete and will be posted on the website soon, but in the meantime you will notice that there is a new Bluetooth setup selection (Tools, Setup, Bluetooth) which lets you turn on Bluetooth and pair the Aera 79X with your GDL39.

Turn on the GDL39 and hold the power button down until the blue light starts flashing before you request the Aera 79X to find and pair with the GDL39 for the first time. Each time you power the units up after that initial pairing they will automatically re-connect.

Enjoy,
Steve

Tip: Remove SD card

Just did the update and here is a key tip, if you have a SD card installed for checklists etc, remove it or the update will be stuck on the first screen and will not power off or connect to the computer. Spent about 30 mins with tech support trying a number of things when I decided to remove the SD card. Update completed normally after the card was removed, seems like the unit looks to the SD card first for some reason.

Just another data point...

I updated my unit today with an SD card inserted and the update completed normally. No issues.