tkatc

Well Known Member
I just subscribed to the XM weather for my Aera 560. The 560 comes with several mounts and a GXM40 antenna to recieve the XM signal. Now with the smaller mount on the back of the Aera I can plug the XM antenna in and recieve weather. No problems. The problems come as I fix the Aera to the "Yoke" mount and try to plug the antenna into the mini USB port along the charging cord. It always tells me WRONG USB PORT and I cannot get weather. Brief research told me to update my unit which I did but the problem remains. I am hoping this is something obvious and I am just overlooking the problem. But I am a bit lost. Any Aera experts here? (one that might use the yoke mount)

Since you mentioned you had it working on the USB port on the back of the aera,make sure the battery cover is on properly. The aera has a sensor that can tell if the cover is'nt on. I have mine on the yoke mount and XM routed thru the USB on the power cord and works well. Just a thought.

tkatc,

I suspect you have a cable problem with the yoke mount harness that is preventing the Aera from properly identifying the GXM40.

Can you confirm that the displayed message is "USB on wrong port" and not "XM on wrong port"?

Thanks

I found this here.

12. Clark from New Jersey replied: Feb 2, 2011 06:44 PM
I have a question about the "USB on Wrong Port" message. I have the 560 and when I pop it into my aviation cradle I sometimes get this message (70% of the time actually). The aviation cradle has just the one cord coming from the back and the XM anntena cable plugs into the end of that (as does the power and the audio out). My problem is that when I power up the unit I get the message above and the XM will not work. The only solution that I have found is that I have to cycle the 560 on and off up to 10 times before the message goes away and the XM functions properly. Sometimes it works right from the start and sometimes it takes for ever. What gives? Do I have a bad unit? Bad software? ID:

13. Jesse GPS City from Calgary, AB replied: Feb 3, 2011 07:52 AM
Hello Clark,

I would suggest a firmware update to get started. That may resolve your issue. Garmin has a free program called webupdater. If the problem happens again try unplugging the GXM antenna and plug it back in without cycling the units power. Maybe the GXM antenna is having the issue. If your problem still continues please contact Garmin for repair and or aviation technical assistance. 1-800-800-1020

Cheers

15. Clark from New Jersey replied: Mar 4, 2011 02:35 AM
Jessie, Just wanted to let you know that the firmware update did the trick. Thanks! ID:

LongEz,
I also suspect some sort of cable issue. I have an email into Garmin support so we'll see.

Lee,
I found that on the web too and did do an update...didn't change anything. I am pretty frustrated with it.

Thanks for trying guys.

Aera 560

On my unit the car mount has the plug on the side for the xm antenna, the plane yoke mount has the plug halfway down the cord- so only 1 cable goes to the yoke mount.

Yep, same thing here Danny. But when I plug it into my yoke mount it gives me the "USB in wrong port" error.

Just got off the phone with Garmin, they are sending me out a new cradle for the yoke mount at no charge. They also believe the cord is bad. We'll see. But I have to say I am impressed with the customer service.

I called garmin on Monday, the new cable was on my doorstep on Wednesday. Problem solved. Garmin is AWESOME for customer service!!