ao.frog

Well Known Member
I've just installed a Garmin Aera 500 Atlantic version and I'm trying to connect it to the AFS-4500s, but so far no luck.

I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong in the SW setup so I'm trying this forum before contacting AFS.

First: take a look at the AFS wiring schematic and compare it to the schematic for the Garmin bare wire connection and tell me the answer to this VERY basic question:

The Garmin blue wire (TX, data out) shall be wired to the AFS WHT wire (Serial # 1, RS-232 TXD), correct?
(The AFS wires I'm talking about is "Serial # 1, in the middle of the lower edge, close to the letters "GPS", just to the left of the "Magnetometer)

The Garmin Yellow wire (RX, data in) shall be wired to the AFS WHT/ORN (serial # 1 RS-232 RXD), correct?

210m805.jpg

On other words; the Garmin RX wire shall be wired to the AFS RX wire, and the Garmin TX-wire shall be wired to the AFS TX wire?

Next question: I've set up the Aera so that it has NMEA output:

vywite.jpg

The baud is at 4800:

28lfdoy.jpg

Here's how I've done the setup at the Admin page of the 4500:

2n6vmag.jpg

As you can see on line 5, I've set the serial port # 1 to NMEA @4800.
In line 11, I've set the GPS/NAV 2 data source to serial port # 1.

With this setup, the 4500 doesn't have contact with the Aera GPS:

t56uiu.jpg

In the bottom right corner, the GPS source is the Aera GPS: SRC/GPS2

When I select the other GPS; the already installed AFS GPS, which is GPS #1, the 4500 gets contact with it:

2ms2780.jpg

It says "GPS Integrity" because the plane is inside a hangar with no wiew of the sky.
Outside, with the source set to GPS # 1, it works fine.

Sooo... any suggestions to what I've done wrong people?

On the bright side: we've connected both power and ground cables, and the Aera starts to charge when the avionic power is turned on. :)

Last edited:
You have wiring backward. TX goes to RX and RX goes to TX. Transmit. (Out) goes to RX (in). Does that make sense?

Ahaaa...

Well, sort of...? Then I guess you can say that the GPS transmits something which the EFIS shall receive, and vice verca....

In any case: thanks alot for the clearification! We'll swap those two wires tomorrow.

LOVE this forum! Thanks guys and THANK YOU Doug for keeping it alive!