Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to wire the Garmin aera 500 to the D-100. The manual says they are compatible, but Dynon support says I require the HS34 control panel @ nearly $700 :eek: to make it work.

If anyone can shed some light on this, that'd be great!

I have a Area 500 that is coupled with my D100 and it works beautifully. I do not use either the AP-74 or the HS-34. I spoke with Robert at Dynon and he recommended for only VFR to just use the menu in the D-100 to control the autopilot bugs. I have been flying with my setup since last June. All of the information was contained within the D-100 installation manual. I can run to the airport tomorrow if needed to let you know what output format that I have the GPS set to, let me know. NOTE: you must buy the Garmin aviation bare wire power cord/harness, which is the only way you can get the GPS out signal wire.

Last edited:
You absolutely do not need the HS34 to connect an Aera 500 to the D100. You just need the serial output harness for the Aera and then it wires up like any other serial GPS as outlined in the D100 manual.

If you spoke to our support guys, you may have said you have a Garmin 500 and they assumed a GNS-500, which is a certified, panel mount GPS, which does require the HS34. Too many model names!

Not sure who at Dynon told you that but they are just wrong...or maybe they misunderstood you or you them.

The Aera series works fine with the Dynon without the HS34.

Connect the Blue wire from the Aera flying lead cable to the Yellow or Yellow/Green wire of the Dynon (Pin 22).

Set the Aera to output NMEA & VHF OUT (this gets you 9600 baud) from its serial port. Set the advanced NMEA setting to NORMAL not FAST.

Set the Dynon's serial port to AUTO.

Connect the Dynon and the Aera to a common ground.

That's it. Easy Peasy!

All of this is covered well in the D100 install manual and on the Dynon WIKI.

Thanks guys,

I'm nearing the end, but I'll be glad when this electrical 'on the job training' is finished.