IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
For those avionics experts out there (Stein / Paul are you listening??) I have a couple high level questions about audio warnings.

For the 496, I see that it has audio output. What does it "say"? Is this just for terrain, or for other uses as well. Would you recommend hooking it up to a switched, or unswitched audio input (in other words, is it annoying sometimes, like during landing)

Does the 430W provide any audio warnings at all? If so, same questions.

For anyone flying with the AF-3500 EFIS, is there a way (or should I provide a way) to mute the audio warnings? I'm especially thinking of "ANGLE ANGLE PUSH" which I imagine comes out a lot during landing?

Thanks for any info,

landing

I can only comment on the AFS and the verbal warning at landing. I feel pretty good about my landing when I hear the warning just as my wheels touch the ground. I guess I still come in a bit too fast as I don't hear it all that often. I have never wished that any of the warnings could be silenced. Love my 3500!

For anyone flying with the AF-3500 EFIS, is there a way (or should I provide a way) to mute the audio warnings? I'm especially thinking of "ANGLE ANGLE PUSH" which I imagine comes out a lot during landing?

Thanks for any info,

What Andrew said! Also, I just installed a new beta software version I received from Rob at Oshkosh. It added the functionality of being able to cancel warnings such as you are refering to, with a push of a button on my stick grip. I have it wired up and it works great! Also, I can page through the screens with the same button. Several more features were added including % HP. And now, after playing with the Flight Director buttons I want to change my A/P. Rob sure knows how to get a guy hooked!

(snip)
For the 496, I see that it has audio output. What does it "say"? Is this just for terrain, or for other uses as well. Would you recommend hooking it up to a switched, or unswitched audio input (in other words, is it annoying sometimes, like during landing)

Does the 430W provide any audio warnings at all? If so, same questions.

Thanks for any info,

I haven't flown with a 430W, but I have a lot of time with a 396/496, and AOA (not the full AFS EFIS) and old-fashioned 430s.

The 430s don't output warning audio (these are not TAWS equipped). The TAWS 430W might, but I'm not sure.

The x96 handhelds do put out audio warnings for terrain, obstacle, sink rate, and a 500 ft call out on landing. I find them very useful. They will "false alarm" if you try to land at an airport that is not in the flight plan ("terrain, pull up, pull up). I like the "500 feet" call out as I turn base, looking at the runway. They will also warn about sink rate on the back side of a loop.

The AFS AOA calls out "angle, angle push" usually just as the wheels touch in a tail low wheel landing. I don't find it annoying at all

396 Warnings

I didn't realize that the 496 had these warnings. Does the 396 share this feature?

I didn't realize that the 496 had these warnings. Does the 396 share this feature?

396 definitely has the voice warnings. If you have them switched on they will come through the music input.

This is an extraordinarily useful safety feature IMHO.