mattsmith

Well Known Member
Playing with panel layout and wondering if any one knows were to get actual size print outs for Gamin avionics? tried to do a search but could not find what I need. Looking for Gamin XL 250, GMA 340, GTX 327 and SL 40 in particular. thanks for the help.

This is very simple to do and this method wasn't referenced in the above link.

Step 1:
First of all, find a picture of the radio you are interested in. For all of Garmin's radios this can be done on their website. Find the highest resolution image you can find on the site (doesn't need to be perfect), right-click on the image, choose "save as" (or whatever your browser says) and save the image locally.

Step 2:
Open the image in MS paint on your PC.

You will notice in this image the additional whitespace that is around the radio bezel. We will need to remove the whitespace around the image so we can size the image properly.

paint_import.jpg

Step 3:
Click on view->zoom->200% to zoom in. Then click the square selection tool and carefully outline the image and removing any whitespace. Then click "edit->copy". This will copy your selection as an image onto the clipboard.

paint_import2.jpg

Step 4:
Open MS word (or your favorite word processor) and click edit->paste. This will past the image into the document.

import_3.jpg

Step 5:
Double click on the image in your new word document and you will see a popup window. On the window, select the "Size" tab. Be sure to uncheck the "Lock Aspect Ratio" checkbox FIRST. Then enter the bezel size as provided by the manufacturer. With Garmin radios, this is available from their specifications document which you can find on their website for each product. Here is the GTX 327 document that I used for this example.

import5.jpg

Step 6:
Click "OK" and you should now see that the image has been sized appropriately. You can combine more than one image on each page to conserve paper.

When you print out your document(s), be sure to put a ruler on them to make sure that they printed to the correct size. Some printers have options for page scaling that can throw this off, but they are usually turned off by default.

This may seem at first like a complicated and tiresome process but once you get the hang of it is only takes a very short while (< 1 min) for each image.

Hope that helps,
Jamie

Last edited:
Thanks

Luke and Jamie, Thanks for both of your replies. I used Jamie's method and it worked great, after you get the hang of it only takes a minute to do. Jamie I really appreciate you taking the time to show in such detail how to solve my problem, not a computer person and i had no problems using your directions. thanks again Matt.