Bushcaddy

Well Known Member
Currently the #2 serial port on my Garmin 796 is connected to a Garmin SL40 to load frequencies into the standby freq slot.

The #1 serial port is connected to my GTX 330.

My question is how many devices can I connect to that #2 serial port? I have a fuel flow device and also a 406 mghz ELT I would like to hook up. Can the #2 serial port handle 3 devices??

Thanks.

I have serial #1 of my 795 connected to a GDL 39. Serial #2 is connected to my MGL V10 for frequencies, my TruTrak Autopilot, and my MGL EFIS (as primary GPS with its internal GPS as the backup).

I'm sure you can so more but at some point you will need a serial booster.

Currently the #2 serial port on my Garmin 796 is connected to a Garmin SL40 to load frequencies into the standby freq slot.

The #1 serial port is connected to my GTX 330.

My question is how many devices can I connect to that #2 serial port? I have a fuel flow device and also a 406 mghz ELT I would like to hook up. Can the #2 serial port handle 3 devices??

Thanks.

Hello Don,

It doesn't appear that you are currently using the Serial Port 1 output. You could configure Serial Port 1 to GTX TIS-A In/NMEA & VHF Out and connect your SL40 to the output of Serial Port 1 while leaving the GTX 330 connected to the input of Serial Port 1.

This would move the SL40 off of Serial Port 2 and free up Serial Port 2 for those other devices and reduce the loading on that serial port.

Steve

Hmmm....

Steve, interesting observation. The avionics were installed by someone else so I think I will dig deeper. I just assumed the Xpdr was going in both directions on serial port 1. Thx for the heads up.