Subscription costs have always annoyed me and Garmin is a huge offender. Take free government information and package it in your propriatary language then sell it for several hundred bucks a year! I think the subscription costs outlined in the article are a little over blown because no one is going to update all of those all of the time. Many of those can be done once a year but even at that the costs are not insignificant. When you can load all the plates completely free of charge to a sony reader that costs $250, it gets hard to swallow Garmins update fees.

If I ever get to finish my plane the panel will be designed with subscription costs considered and the Cheeta could be a serious contender. Garmin could care less about a single EAA customer (my experience) while I'd guess the Cheeta is brought to market by EAA types that respect the need for TRUE customer service more akin to the True Tracks and MGL's and other small company's that actually monitor boards like VAF.

Maybe I'm wrong but the flat repair rates and update costs from Garmin that I've heard of rub me wrong. It's too bad their stuff is so good otherwise!:D

If only we could get some knockoff chinese updates in Garmin-speak!!

If I ever get to finish my plane the panel will be designed with subscription costs considered and the Cheeta could be a serious contender. Garmin could care less about a single EAA customer (my experience) while I'd guess the Cheeta is brought to market by EAA types that respect the need for TRUE customer service more akin to the True Tracks and MGL's and other small company's that actually monitor boards like VAF.

On the other side of the coin ......my plane is finished, it fly's, and I'll be getting the new 696 next week. It will be my fifth "aviation" Garmin. I suppose I've just been trusting their units since '93.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

496 v 696

i like the 696 lots of good stuff
i bought my 496 from airpower 10 payments same as cash 2 more and its mine
after a lot of thinking i decided i like the 496 for its size and the fact it has street map and marine that takes a chip for great marine mapping i can even plug a sonar in to it and i use it for weather when trav and on my boat for weather also
what i would like to have is charts that can be down loaded like the above post and it would be great if they where free
can some one post info on chart reader and how you go about downloading free app charts it would be ideal to have chart reader for plates and not have to do all that paper changing
hopefully garmin will put airways in 496 mapping with future updates like any where gps has for years
bob

The first post in this thread has a link to the page I took these photos from. The comparisons are valid but a bit biased towards the Cheetah (after all it is their product) I have used the Garmin x96 products a lot (but not a 696) as well as the Cheetahs and currently have a Cheetah 190. So I thought I would comment on the comparisons.

I had a Cheetah 210 in my F1 that I sold when the 396 came out because it had some features I wanted that the Cheetah didn't. Went back to the Cheetah when they added approach plates and enroute charts.

I am now in a quandary of upgrading to the Cheetah 210 vs the 696.

Purchase cost comparison................
Purchase_cost_Small.jpg

This is a bit misleading as the first years database is part of the 696 purchase cost so your first year cost for the 696 is really what you pay for the unit or about $3200 putting it on par with the Flight Cheetah 210. For price you need to compare it to the 210 because the 190 is a computer not nearly as bright as the 696 or 210. The 696 overall is more compact than the Cheetah fewer wires etc.

Annual update comparison..............
Update_comparison_Small.jpg

While this is an apples to apples comparison you can mitigate the 696 update costs with some degree of prudence. I would consider not updating everything every year and only update those items that are essential for your flying or info not available to you on other devices in your cockpit.

Features....................................
Feature_Comparison_1_Small.jpg

Feature_comp_2_Small.jpg

Feature_Comp_3_Small.jpg

The features comparison is (of necessity) partially subjective and does not address usefullness or ease of use.

If you have used other Garmin GPS's ie 295, x96, 420, 430, 520, 530 then the 696 certainly will be intuitive and easy to use. The flight Cheetah takes awhile to get used to but eventually becomes intuitive and easy to use. I use my FL 190 as my travel computer and could not do this with the 696. If you are using the FL210 wit the SS hard drive it is not really feasible to use as a travel computer due to limited memory. With the addition of a channel display and interface the Cheetah weather recievers will provide XM music. This costs about $75 and involves yet another wire.

I have never found the Cheetah "cheapest fuel update" very useful. Nor the Com Link function.

The approach overlay, holding pattern, DME arc and route segment altitude functions on the Cheetah are exceptional.

All in all for frequent IFR pilot I think the Cheetah 210 has more to offer than the 696 and certainly the update cost is far less while initial acquisition cost is a wash.

If you are a VFR pilot with a moving map in your panel I think the FL190 has a lot to offer from an acquisition cost and update price comparison to the 696 as well as its utility as a travel computer I think though the 696 display would better serve the VFR pilot who relies on it as his primary nav device.

For the strictly VFR pilot and occassional "I gotta shoot an approach" IFR pilot it would be hard to beat the 696 as a primary nav and IFR EFB if it were not for the annual update costs.

Also depending on the brand of your panel mount EFIS you can consider putting weather on your EFIS and getting the 695 or a Flight Cheetah without the weather reciever or weather software.
There are many combinations and permutations to consider each with impact on features and cost.

It is the cost of subscriptions that are the real consideration and cost involved with all of these gizmos.

In my case I have 2 Blue Mountains in my panel thats 2 annual subscriptions.

Then there is the flight cheetah or Garmin annual update costs

Add in the XM weather, Flight planner (Flitesoft) subscriptions and it is almost as much as your insurance.

At the moment I choose not to update the BMAs but once every few years and keep my Cheetah up to date.

If I get a 696 I will probably Update my BMAS annualy and judiciously update the 696 on a less frequent basis.

For those that require a Roadmap in your car you can easily install any one of a number of good programs on the Flight Cheetah FL 190

If you are thinking of the Cheetah 190 I would consider buying a Samsung Q1 Ultra with the largest amount of Ram they have and the large hard drive. It will serve you better as a personal computer than the one that comes as the Cheetah 190. Then you can nget the software and weather reciever from Flight Cheetah and a GPS antenna off e bay. It costs a bit more doing it this way but you will have a more versatile unit. You must remember that if you use a computer with a mechanical hard drive that somwhere around 10,000 feet it will malfunction and even damage itself.

Because of update cost alone I am really leaning to sticking with the flight Cheetah and upgrading to the 210 when I get my plane back in the air.

Last edited: