[email protected]

Well Known Member
Anyone else ever have a problem with the remote GPS antenna from a 696 going dead? This has happened to me three times now twice on big trips :( On the way to SnF now.

Each time it goes like this... my 696 (panel mounted) is working fine and grabs a full batch of satellites with nearly max signal strength in an instant... then, on some random startup the antenna is dead for good and the unit will linger without getting a lock on anything... unplug it and the internal antenna will do okay, plug in a new antenna and it works again...

Calling out for a Garmin Guru ;)

Well that's no way to start a week long trip.

Btw...snowing high, raining low and can't see any of the mountains surrounding us. Good thing you got past here yesterday.

Hello Stephen,

Since you say this is not your first replacement antenna, I imagine you should be able to contact Garmin aviation support the same way you did last time (or use the email link below) and inquire about a warranty replacement. Additionally, it would be wise to understand what is unique about your installation that has resulted in this situation. Can you share more about your GPS installation, antenna installation, wire routing, and so forth?

- Matt

Being that the antenna is powered by the 696, perhaps a fault (high voltage?)in the 696 is causing the short lifespan of the antennas?

Pretty normal install...

Antenna sits on the dash, drops down, and plugs in... power is fed to the unit with the standard wire bundle that includes wires for audio... power comes from a VP50. XM has never had a problem.

Unit was out of warrantee when it first died... troubleshooting with Garmin techs eventually pointed to the external antenna. Replaced both times out of pocket... now dead again :(

Last edited:
How well does the internal antenna work? I have a Garmin Aera 500 and have always used the built in antenna without ever loosing signal. My GPS is not set inside a docking station but instead is mounted to the front of panel with the supplied mount.