Rick_A

Well Known Member
I replaced my 496 with a 696. When I first installed the 696, I just installed the new power data cable. I did not install the audio cable I used with the 496 because the 696 requires a connector with a small body. Everything was working fine (except for not having the audio).

I found a audio cable with a body that would fit at Radio Shack. It's shielded 3-wire cable. When I installed the audio cable, I bundled it next to the 696 power/data cable. After I wired the cable to the plane and plugged it into the 696 I started noticing faint background noise in my headset - a slow cycling hum.

I did some troubleshooting today and determined that the noise was being picked up from the power/data cable. As soon as I moved the audio cable away from the p/d cable the noise stopped. When I held them next to each other the noise re-appeared.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there any solutions other then just trying to keep the wires physically apart?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there any solutions other then just trying to keep the wires physically apart?
I thought it was just me, but I experience the same periodic noise, about once every 1-2 seconds. Drives me nuts on the ground, but not in the air.

TODR

Me too!

I was searching to find a hint, and found this.

I'm a 496 into a PS3000II on the stereo audio channel.

Is it an audio input ground loop? Rick 90432

audio shield termination...

did you terminate the audio cable shield at the audio panel? fwiw i used the audio cable from air gizmo and don't have any noise from the xm coming through my 696.

common ground

All my grounds tie to a common rail. I'm going to have no fun handling this, in that the wiring bundles are well integrated. But I can't stand it. I may try an off the shelf GLI first to see. Rick 90432

I got a periodic noise into my receiver after I connected the Garmin 196's data output to my TruTrak. The cable I was using wasn't shielded so I took some braid and put it around the cable then attached it to the 196 return at the Garmin connector. It didn't totally get rid of it, but what noise that is left is just on the threshold of detection.