Larco

Well Known Member
My 530W refused to allow the input of airport IDs This AM so it looks like it has to be sent into Garmin through a dealer. My question is from your actual experience what should be expected from Garmins flat rate repair? Do they sent it back reconditioned with things like a new glass and updated software and mapping?

Mine came back from Garmin basically a refurbished unit. It met new unit tolerances. The software and nav data was also updated. Seems like it all came to about $1k after shipping.

My 530W refused to allow the input of airport IDs This AM so it looks like it has to be sent into Garmin through a dealer. My question is from your actual experience what should be expected from Garmins flat rate repair? Do they sent it back reconditioned with things like a new glass and updated software and mapping?

Larry,

From my experience, Garmin will only fix things that are obviously wrong with the unit. I was told by my avionics dealer to specifically innumerate everything I wanted taken care of, for example "Screen antiglare worn, please replace screen; replace internal battery (always do this IMHO), buttons stick or don't function occasionally, please repair all button functionality; buttons are faded, please replace; update to latest version; etc..". Garmin has been very good about fixing everything you list as needing attention. Garmin did not update my navigation database.