sf3543

Well Known Member
My 496 was in storage long enough for the battery to go dead. I got a new battery and the unit works fine, with only one start up glitch. It doesn't want to acquire until I punch in "stored w/o battery" or "New location", even if I start it up in the same spot the next day.
Any ideas on how to get it back to just starting up and acquiring when I turn it on?
Thanks,

It works for me to plug in my gps at home and leave it on overnight to charge the internal battery before flying with it. It will not find the satellites if I don't use it for about a week or so,and the internal battery isn't recharged. Guess the internal battery is nearing the end of its life.

Brian
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the string and hopefully a reset of the satellites is all I need.
You mentioned an internal battery. I assume that is different from the removeable rechargable battery.
Is this internal battery something that could also need to be replaced? Sounds like something that Garmin would have to do.
Just curious.

Brian
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the string and hopefully a reset of the satellites is all I need.
You mentioned an internal battery. I assume that is different from the removeable rechargable battery.
Is this internal battery something that could also need to be replaced? Sounds like something that Garmin would have to do.
Just curious.

Hi Steve- there is a thread on VAF where people talk about replacing the battery themselves, it sounded like some screw removal and one or two solder points. I'll see if i can search it for you

Brian
Just curious.

If I remember correctly, there is an internal battery (separate from the removable battery) that has to charge up to keep the Ephemeris memory alive. this battery takes quite a while to discharge, but when it does, it also takes quite a while to charge back up - and can go bad if it is left dead for long. Might plug the unit in with AC power and leave it on and idling for 24 hours - see if that does anything.

Paul

Yes, there is a separate little battery on the board that keeps the last location and whatnot saved and allows it to quickly locate itself. If you turn it on, and notice the time and date are wrong, that is your issue. I have found in other research on this board that the battery only charges when the unit is on and plugged into power. I have read that garmin recommends the unit be powered on at least 4 hours a month to keep the internal battery charged. I believe they charge around $250 or so to replace it if need be, but there are sites where the battery change is chronicled for the do-it-yourselfer.

Clock Battery for the Garmin GPSMAP 396

Thanks to all of you for your input on the start up problem you were having. I was having it too and used your information but I went a step further to find a direct replacement for the VARTA MC 621 clock battery. I got mine through Batteries Plus + $12.99 plus tax and the part number is DANRLITH-621-2VL.

This is a Sanyo battery and is exactly the same as the VARTA MC 621 that comes from Garmin in the unit. The solder tabs are the same etc. I did have to order it and it took about 4 days to arrive. Then about an hour to do the replacement.

I found this same battery on line somewhere for about five and a half bucks. Don't know what the shipping would have been. Hope this is helpful to all of you out there with the same problem. ;)

After three years with my 496, the internal battery doesn't hold a charge for very long. Charging it overnight with the A/C adapter works as others have indicated. But after a week of not flying, it has lost its charge again. You can tell by looking to see what time the GPS is showing at start up. Mine is usually several days behind after a week of non use. It is a pain to remove the GPS from the panel dock and charge it, so I usually just hold the on and out buttons at the same time at start up (if I haven't flown in a week). It finds the satellites quickly after doing that.

Last edited: