Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
For those using the 396/496 I have a question.

During the building of my RV-7A and testing of the 496 at my home the display showed the standard terrain you would expect. You could zoom in and out. When I moved the airplane to the airport and the 496 displays the airport map (almost full screen-auto zoomed in to the airport). I thought this might be because the 496 knew I was at the airport and not moving so it may default to the airport map. However it appears that even when flying in the pattern it still is defaulting to airport map mode. Is there a way to shut this auto function off?

I can't find the setting in the manual.

Thanks,

Smart taxi

When I'm anywhere near an airport with the safetaxi diagram it will display the white box out to I believe the 20nm range. If you are staying in the pattern close to the airport and haven't zoomed out far enough the white bounding box of the safetaxi diagram will always be shown. Try zooming out to a long distance and you will see how the white box varies size and eventually disappears.

Somewhere in the setup menu system is a box to check for auto-zoom. If auto-zoom is selected, as you get closer to each checkpoint in your flight plan (including the destination), the Garmin will zoom in, showing more detail.

You can always override this by hitting the "in" or "out" button. As you pass the checkpoint, it automatically zooms out again.

You can turn this feature off and on in the menu.

Personally, I like the autozoom feature.