tvlawyer

It seems that $2,795 is the wide-going price for a new 496. Anyone know where one can be had for less?

Apparently that is a minimum price set by Garmin, they will not allow their USA dealers to sell for less.

There was a Cessna Pilot's Association member who owns an avionics shop in Canada that was selling them for 2495$ shipped to members of the CPA. Other than that I think 2795 is the going price....

Thomas

I hear that Daimler-Chrysler employees can get a discount on Garmin products. They also may be able to share the discount. Ask around.

I may be mixing it up, but wasn't that illegal? :) As I understand, what (all?) they can do is enforce MAP (minimum advertised price) where you cannot show on your website that the actual going price is less than MSRP/MAP.

Now, the fact that 2795 is the going price may be more related to supply/demand than some shady activity..

TShort said:
Apparently that is a minimum price set by Garmin, they will not allow their USA dealers to sell for less.

There was a Cessna Pilot's Association member who owns an avionics shop in Canada that was selling them for 2495$ shipped to members of the CPA. Other than that I think 2795 is the going price....

Thomas

Radomir is correct, A MAP means nothing as it relates to the actual price that you can purchase one for. It only means that the *advertised* price not be lower than the MAP (as agreed in the dealer agreement with Garmin).

If you really want to know what you can buy one for from a given seller, you'll have to call and ask specifically, or some of their websites will provide an emailed price that may be lower than the MAP. The advertised price however will not be.

Aint this fun around MAPs - Garmin, Apple, Bose, etc....

Price fixing

tvlawyer said:
It seems that $2,795 is the wide-going price for a new 496. Anyone know where one can be had for less?

This is commonly known as price fixing!!! At Oshkosh, all of the avionics places were within 5 bucks of each other!!! Interesting.

I can tell you that any dealer that is found to even SELL (not just advertise) for less than the MAP will go on immediate suspension from Garmin. Even offering free shipping will quickly land you in the dog house.

garmin 496 prices

The seller can get creative by taking your unit on trade and giving more for say a 295 than its worth. Thats what I did and got a great deal online.
Doug

They aren't alone...

boswell said:
I can tell you that any dealer that is found to even SELL (not just advertise) for less than the MAP will go on immediate suspension from Garmin. Even offering free shipping will quickly land you in the dog house.
While at the AOPA Conference in PS - I was looking at the Lowrance 600C - as it appears perfect for my current rental plane flying. I was asking around to see if they anticipated any reduction in price before Christmas (like we have seen on the 2000C) - and was told by several vendors, AND a dealer rep at the Lowrance booth that they weren't allowed to drop the price at all yet because it was too new and Lowrance wouldn't let them. Sounds like price fixing to me...!

dj

Last edited: