RWoodard

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Hello,

I've searched around and found several threads re: panel mounting the Garmin handheld GPS's, but nobody's posted anything in the actual GPS section. So here's a first...

For various reasons, I decided NOT go to with the AirGizmos mounting system. I had originally planned to glue my 496 in place, but after reading about and seeing Randy Lervold's system, I decided to fabricate my own mount. So here it is:

garminfront-1.jpg

garminfront.jpg

garmintop.jpg

I'll still need to cut a few holes for the various cables to pass through...

Best regards,

Rod Woodard
Loveland, Colorado (KFNL)
Midget Mustang still underway...
RV-8 #81964 waiting at the wings...

What I think many people may not realize is that you're going to want to yank the 496 out for software updates, snarfing tracks, etc. on a somewhat regular basis. All I can say is make it relatively easy to get it out.

dan said:
What I think many people may not realize is that you're going to want to yank the 496 out for software updates, snarfing tracks, etc. on a somewhat regular basis. All I can say is make it relatively easy to get it out.

Actually, I'm planning to make the USB connection very easy to get to. I travel extensively with my laptop so taking it to the airport for a track download or to upload a software/database revision will be no burden at all.

You bring up a good point, however, for those who may not have a laptop computer...

Rod Woodard
Loveland, Colorado (KFNL)

Here's a similar design. I also built an extractor using 1/4" delrin rod (not shown) that is pushed into the hole in the panel to realease the unit.

111_1159_1.jpg

111_1163_1.jpg