CBRXXDRV

A couple years ago I posted a thread on the Garmin X96 battery replacement (internal clock battery). That 396 had worked great ever since.
So I decided to upgrade to a 496....I did not want the aera 560 for a number of reason and wanted safe taxi. Just wanted to trade my 396 for a 496. My local shop came through with one (it took 2 weeks). Guess what .... the clock battery is bad. I knew that was gonna happen before I even bought it. So I searched and YES the battery can now be bought for $2.51 with the tabs welded on. I ordered 2 because shipping was the same. Digi-key Corp (digikey.com) Part number SY103-ND or http://csobeech.com/Garmin-Internal-Battery.html will take you there with full instructions. Keep in mind the shipping is 3 x the part but hey its all good.

Sal Capra
N898SC
Lakeland FL

Not changing the Air gizmo
Not learning all the buttons again
Not messing with my XM subscription
Getting a good trade value
Getting AOPA and safe taxi
Finding the battery for $2.51 and I am sure that is why it was traded

PRICELESS

How in the world did we function before the internet and google?

and thanks to you and your old post,

My 396 is humming along perfectly, on its second battery, from Digikey and with the aid of your last post, so.......

THANKS!

Clock or Battery Inop?

In the past few days, I pulled my dust covered G-496 off the shelf to update the database. After being plugged in for about a minute, I received a "BATTERY NOT FOUND" warning. When I plug in the power cord, within 30 seconds I get a "BATTERY CHARGE COMPLETE" advisory, but if I unplug the power cord, the unit shuts off immediately. I discovered a previous thread dealing with this, and if I read the posts correctly, a dead clock battery can cause this. I also read that the unit must be ON to charge the clock battery.
I left the unit on for about 8 hours, and it is still doing the same thing. I am fairly sure that the clock battery is depleted, as the time is about 40 minutes off. The unit has been inside the entire time, and with no satellites to link to, I have been running it in "Sim Mode".
Is this a sign that the clock battery is in need to replacement or is it the main battery. Do I need to allow the unit to align, to get a charge on all batteries?
Thanks for any info. i really can't see sending the unit back to Garmin at $400 just for a lookover.
Thanks!

Last edited: