BigJohn

Well Known Member
Anyone else seen this? On 4th condition inspection noted top of 496 GPS antenna deformed upward, as if overheated. Still working fine. Have had no incidents of engine overheat. Does not sit out in sun. A bit of a mystery.

2zxzi87.jpg
[/IMG]
k4xtap.jpg
[/IMG]

Anyone else seen this? On 4th condition inspection noted top of 496 GPS antenna deformed upward, as if overheated. Still working fine. Have had no incidents of engine overheat. Does not sit out in sun. A bit of a mystery.

2zxzi87.jpg
[/IMG]
k4xtap.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like a very warm engine compartment upon shut down :eek:

Skunkworks and I have theory that the real heat build-up occurs just after shutdown. The engine is still piping hot and the airflow has ceased. We have made it a practice to open the oil door immediately after shutdown. This conclusion was reached after losing voltage regulators and ignition modules. We don't have any hard evidence that it helps, but I know it does not hurt. Try it, you will be amazed at the amount of heat that escapes.

Regular practice

I have always opened the oil door on my RV6 and since I've been operating the 12. I think it is a good practice to exhaust some of that heat, and I will certainly keep an eye on that antenna. Thanks for sharing this information!

Yikes, I guess that one is the female? They are close together, and in a private area.

Can't you take off the cover and check the inside? Maybe it got hot there (Captain Obvious) and it is hermetically sealed, the internal pressure deformed the top? At least you would know it is waterproof.

Seriously, I will add this temperature environment to my instrumentation list for documentation in phase I and share. Might not apply to a 12, tho.

Last edited: