pgroell

Well Known Member
Friend
Hello all,
I'im in the final stages of building my RV-7A. I have installed a Garmin 496 in an Airgizmos dock in the panel.
For a few days now, my 496 is acting up as there is no more audio output on the main plug, only some static noise replacing the messages (this has been checked through the car speaker and the airplane audio mixer). I still have audio through the 1/8" plug at the rear.
I have the option of rewiring the audio through that plug but then I would not have any sound when using the GPS in a car, or I would have to use earplugs.
As I had some problems with an earlier 496, I'm thinking that switching to one of the Aera series would be easier now than later.
The Airgizmos dock for the Aera has the same footprint and bolting pattern, I would just have to redo some of the wiring, install the new antenna as the connector is different.
First question, has somebody an idea why I only get static on the main plug audio line (maybe I changed something)?
Second question, would you switch to the Aera series or try to keep the 496 at all cost?
Thanks for your input.

Have you tried adjusting the audio jack setting to match the device you are connecting it to? (page 109 of the manual).

mcb

If you do switch to Aera....

While the Aera outputs everything (audio alerts and XM) on the flying lead cable, the output of the alerts is fine but the XM volume on the same line is very low....Support recommended that I move to the jack built into the side of the Aera instead as it was a "hotter" output. Well that jack requires a special right angle plug to work in the Airgizmo dock.

The Aera does not seem to have any settings for these outputs.

The whole idea behind the flying lead cable is that you snap the multipin connector onto the Aera and you are done. Sad that they suggest that we use another connection point...How about Garmin normalizing the audio levels on the flying lead output so it works like it is suppose to??????

Thanks

Matt, I already tried that, I uploaded the software again but i'm still getting only static on the main plug. I'm in contact with Garmin support UK, they are really helpfull, and send me an new speaker cable to perform som tests before going to further investigation which will mean sending the unit back, or just wire to the dedicated audio plug for the time being.

Brantel, thanks for the information,
I'm in France and we don't have XM here.