cbennet1

Well Known Member
Where o' where to place them? :)

RV6 with tip up. I have a Apollo 2001 antenna mounted in the center of the glareshield and I'd like to keep that spot reserved for a new panel mount GPS antenna.

So my intention was to mount the standard and GXM antennas at opposite ends of the glareshield to keep the field of view as clear as possible or allow for other additions like a Zaon, compass, etc.

Any thoughts from others that have done similar? Any loss of satellite visibility due to the curvature of the glareshield? Do I need to keep them closer to the center?

Any input from those that have gone before would be appreciated!

Craig

Last edited:
My experience is that opposite ends of the glareshield will work fine - even clustering them together will work. I basically throw mine up there with little regard for precise placement, and they work just great!

Paul

Here is mine.

I don't think that having both GPS antenna together would be a problem.
The 496 antenna won't be a problem with visibility, but good luck with the zaon. As you can see from my prototype, it is right in you face if you put it on the glareshield.

That is part of the reason that I decided to go with ADB-S from NavWorx.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kent

Craig,

That is basically what we did in our RV-6 tipper. There is a pedestal mounted Airpath compass on the center of the glareshield, so our 496's GPS antenna went to the left, and XM antenna to the right, about where the hinges are. No problem with signals. (Except at the top of an inside loop, but that's to be expected :).)

--Paul

I have a 6A, but slider. The Garmin 696 & XM antenna are to the left of center on the glareshield, and a Lowarance 600c is to the right. I've never lost satellite reception in nearly two years of operation.

Right now, my 696 sit's in my home office, with no external antenna. It picks up between nine and eleven satelllites every time I turn it on. Not bad! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I put my antenna just forward of the firewall, under the cowl, out of sight. Does require a hole in the firewall for the antenna wire. No problems so far except when the Navy is degrading the signal.

greg

I put both antennae on the left side of the glare shield so I could drop the wires straight down to where I mounted the 496 in the panel under a GRT EFIS. They are adjacent to each other. Works great and not a problem as far as vision.

N980DC
RV 7-A
Lyc 0 360 A1A

Throw 'em up there!

I regularly fly marine mammal survey missions off the Atlantic coast in a Cessna 337. With two observers with one or two GPS's each, I have had as many as five GPS antennas up on the dash or stuck to the windsheild at once. Never had a problem with interference.
I don't worry about drowning if we have to ditch. We will all strangle on the mass of wires strung around the cockpit! :eek:

Has anyone mounted the antennas on the backside of the panel? We are in a panel upgrade and the right side of the panel is bare. Thought about putting some shelves on the backside for the antennas.

If it's under metal, the antenna won't get a good signal. I suggest you try the location first before mounting permanently.

greg

GPS Antenna placement

I also have mine -- a 496, SL-60, and XM Satellite - on the firewall, engine side, under the cowl. Have never had a reception problem on any of them.