bobg56

Well Known Member
How do you set the Garmin 495 to talk to the D180? I see there are a few options in the Garmin 495 set up Interface. NEMA In / Out didn't work, I see Aviation/Nema VHF Out...which one to use?...I'm not able to get to my aircraft since its under MTC, but I did take out the GPS and would like to have it working properly when I re install it, I did update the software recently on the Garmin 495 to 2.60...thanks, Bob

How do you set the Garmin 495 to talk to the D180? I see there are a few options in the Garmin 495 set up Interface. NEMA In / Out didn't work, I see Aviation/Nema VHF Out...which one to use?...I'm not able to get to my aircraft since its under MTC, but I did take out the GPS and would like to have it working properly when I re install it, I did update the software recently on the Garmin 495 to 2.60...thanks, Bob

I think you are on the right track to get it working. Looking back at my old notes on this I see that NEMA In/NEMA Out Serial Data Format was the default on my 496 and that did not work with the D180. It should be set to "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out". Then on the Dynon HSI page a message should appear that the GPS is looking for satellites, i.e. "Waiting for GPS Fix", in Magenta meaning that communication is established.

i-m6khnJd-L.jpg

When receiving GPS signals you should be able to set a direct-to course and see a magenta course line on the Dynon.

I no longer have my 496 or D180 so I can't confirm this for you, but there are others on the forum who can.

Last edited:
Yes, the 495 went to default on the NEMA setting as NEMA /In NEMA Out, that didn't work...I've got it set to Aviation in/Nema VHF out...will see what happens
when I plug it back in....Thanks for the help!

Probably not necessary suggestion, but make sure the aircraft is out in the open so it can get a GPS signal.