AndyRV7

Well Known Member
Hi,

I am considering getting myself one of these units soon and can't really seem to figure out how appropriate it will be for a renter. That is, how useful is it if you have to rent a Skyhawk like I will be doing for a while? Is it easy enough to mount in a rental and take back out after your flight or do you need to have a yoke mount or velcro permanently attached to the plane (or something similar)? I'm hoping for a car-simple mount, like suction it to the windshield and turn it on. Maybe this is shortsighted though!?

I'm just trying to figure out if there are going to be any hurdles to getting some good use out of it before I plunk down the cash.

Thanks. Andy

I like to have it just sitting on my lap, or on the seat next to me. When I need to use it I can manipulate the rocker and hold it in one hand. If you want to be able to see it all the time I find the bean bag car mount good enough to set on the dash during cruise. It gets stowed for take off & landing.

Trust me you will love it.

Andy,

Do you fly out of Linden (KLDJ) or Central Jersey (47N) ? I use to be based at Central Jersey and still come there frequently. I'm a big Garmin fan but have just ordered a Bendix/King AV8OR. I may be there this weekend and my buddy there has a 496 that we can show you. According to spruce, my AV8OR is back ordered until 8/19.

Thanks guys. I am 4 miles or less from Linden, but I am training in Caldwell (CDW). I passed my progress check Sunday and am trying to schedule my check ride as I type. Probably next midweek. Can't wait to be able to at least take a short break from studying!!

I am surpirsed to hear about the ability to move the unit around. For some reason, I imagined that it needed to be fixed, and maybe even in a particular orientation (like square to the nose or something). I am really just interested in having a back-up of sorts for leaving the comfort of my home airport. Every x-c i've done has been a no-brainer the second time, but challenging the first time. It's been all pilotage so far. I also want to do a fair amoutn of night flying and have a little worry about locating the field on the way home. Lots of tall trees and light pollution in NJ. I figure the GPS would be a nice tool.

w1curtis: Thanks for the offer to see teh 496. I have at least one more weekend of drills and studying though, otherwise, I might have come to Central jersey.

Thanks for the feedback!

plenty of mounting options

I am surpirsed to hear about the ability to move the unit around. For some reason, I imagined that it needed to be fixed, and maybe even in a particular orientation (like square to the nose or something).
It is not the unit that needs to be mounted. It is the antenna that needs to be mounted. This is not a problem either as the built in antenna works pretty well. The 396/496 also comes with an external antenna in case you do have problems. It has suction cups on it so you can stick it directly to any window you can find. However, since you discussed mounting, the 396/496 comes with a multitude of mounting options. It includes a bean bag base, a yoke mount and several other ways to mount it. Since all it needs is power from a cigarette lighter all you really need to do is give it a clear line to the sky and power (although even that is not entirely necessary as it has a battery it can also run on).

I am really just interested in having a back-up of sorts for leaving the comfort of my home airport. Every x-c i've done has been a no-brainer the second time, but challenging the first time. It's been all pilotage so far. I also want to do a fair amoutn of night flying and have a little worry about locating the field on the way home. Lots of tall trees and light pollution in NJ. I figure the GPS would be a nice tool.
Yes it is a nice tool but you are still going to have to use your noggin'. I have had an experience of flying into a new airport with my GPS. I have been just 2 miles from the airport according to my 496 and still having a difficult time finding the airport out the window. No matter how good the technology gets you are still going to have to depend on your eyes and your brains.

Have fun with your new license.