mcattell

Well Known Member
I've been trying to figure out how to make the serial output work on the 430W with no luck. I'm trying to connect it to my Trio autopilot or AFS EFIS. The 430 doesn't have an option for Nema so I'm assuming I have to use Aviation output. The 430 is connected to the transponder for traffic using the ARINC interface which seems to work fine. So does anyone know why the serial output may not be working? I also have a 696 which worked the first time when connected to either the A/P or EFIS when set for Nema output, so I know that the problem is with the 430.

Do I have to have a solid GPS signal with good integrity before the serial output is active? It takes a while in my shop to obtain full integrity with the gps. I've tested with and without a good signal and still no serial output.

One last question, where can I get documentation for the 430 configuration? It must be top secret because it's not in the manual that came with it and isn't available for download on their website. I know how to get into configuration but it would be handy to have some documentation to refer to.

No NEMA

The GNS430(W) does not have a NEMA output. Since I work on the certified world, and unfortunately have not worked with a TruTrak or any other experimental autopilot yet, I can't tell you if the A/P will take Aviation format, but that is the only RS232 available from the GNS430(W). You also have the GAMA ARINC 429 out of the GPS, but again I don't know if your A/P will accept that.

It seems this question or similar comes up once a week on this forum.
Do a search of this forum for "Garmin install manual" and you will get many hits.

To answer your first question, no the 430 does not need to have full satellite view in order to send serial information. Second, only one RS-232 channel at a time can send Aviation data. You can however connect this single output to multiple input devices (transponder, 696, AFS, Trio, etc). If you don't have it, you may want to invest in the AFS ARINC interface to get full HSI functionality on the AFS.

See this post:
http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367&highlight=

or..
afsConnect.jpg

Got it

Thanks for the great information. My search didn't come up with this previously. I'v got the installation manual now and will try again tonight to make the serial output work.

Set the 430W to Aviation format on the correct port and make sure that your AF-4500 is set to Aviation and it will work, or you have the wiring messed up.

Call me if you need help.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems