N316RV

Well Known Member
I am trying to finish up my serial connections and have a few questions

430W install manual page H-17 shows
Assume using Serial #1
327 serial out supplying altitude to 430W serial in. Format is ICARUS ALT (default)
430W serial out to 327 serial in. What information is being sent here? Do I need this?

Skyview install manual rev L, page 12-6
430W serial out to Skyview 429 module. Format is ?Aviation?.

If I do not need the 430W serial out to 327 serial in, I cannot use it for the Skyview 429 module connection for the Skyview, since format is different, correct? The reason I ask this, is I already this wire in the harness.
On the 430W serial X in and out will be the same format, correct?

I don't have a skyview, but a few things come to mind.

The 327 doesn't supply altitude, that comes from a GPS source. So your 430 would be outputting ICARAUS altitude TO the GTX 327.

Serial IN from the 327 along with an associate OUT (separate from altitude serial) can be used to REMOTELY control the 327 (if the 327 is running 2.2 firmware). Otherwise no OUT from the 327 is needed.

The 430 to 429 AVIATION is GPS navigation signaling

Above is incorrect. Transponder needs pressure altitude, not gps altitude. It gets it from the EFIS. There is no need for a line from the 430 to the 327.
I have seen some setups where the 430 gets data (for E-6B calculations, etc.,) via a daisy chain 327 out to the 430, rather than from the EFIS to 430.
As to the first question, it is very common for the serial in/out channels to be paired, e.g., same speed and format on both. I don't recall if it's that way on the 430.

Sorry, that is correct, I was trying to remember what mine was. The ICARUS altitude is coming from the EFIS to the GTX. My Garmin unit is connected via serial in and out for remote control.

I believe the input data from the GPS will control the mode and automatically turn the xponder on when movement is detected

You do not need a second input, the gps data will be riding along with the data from the efis. Btw, I believe the 327 can turn itself on automatically without gps data, by looking for a sudden increase in altitude.