bruceg

A friends RV-7 is equipped with dual EFIS displays and a GNS 430W. The 430 is located outside the acceptable field of view for a left seat pilot and requires external annunciation to be legal for IFR ops.
Could someone who has been through the process of installing this annunciation guide me a bit with equipment selection?
Thanks!

Depending on what EFIS is installed, it may be able to serve as the annunciator. Which does he have?

Brian is correct, it depends on the EFIS. Some of the will do the annunciations for you. Also, regarding the "field of view", it's not a hard/fast number that you automatically use to determine that, and I'd take a guess that if it's truly outside of that limit (that he correctly calculated) then it must be way far over on the right side of the plane....to a point where I'd think it might be slightly unusable if it's indeed that far away.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,

I'm pretty sure the installation manual (which of course is part of the TSO) specified field of view limits down to a fraction of an inch. I guess you could argue where the center of vision point was.
The installations that I've seen that clearly violate the placement guidelines have had the box on a center console, below the usual panel.

back to original question

As noted above, check what the EFIS displays. I think all of them will show if you have selected VOR/ILS, or GPS (?), on the 430.
For the other annunciations (I think there are 5?) look in the 430W installation manual. You can buy a very expensive set of lights from Garmin or Mid-Continent; or you can just install 5 (?) indicator lights, labelled per the installation manual, within the field of view. There are pins on the back of the 430 to drive the indicators.With a small amount of work you can make them dimable.