DJP

Well Known Member
I have an RV-10 with a Garmin 560 currently in it. It works great BUT I can't use it to fly IFR so I can't put the /G in the remarks section. SOOOOO I decided to purchase either a Garmin 430 or the 650. The 650 is about $1,600 more BUT it does have the touch screen and does away with twisting knobs. As I said I currently have a 560 and it is ALSO a touch screen just like the 650. Tonight I flew the airplane to norther CA with strong surface winds and over the mountains and hills it got moderate chop most of the way. This was probably a wake up call because when it happened in the past I had the same problem, pressing the right button on the touch screen. The darn thing was jumping around so badly that it was very difficult to make the inputs that I needed to make. That got me to thinking that perhaps the older 430 with the twist knobs might actually be the better choice. Has anyone else had this same problem using the touch screen interface and what did you do about it. I am going to make my decision early next week so any information or input would be appreciated.

650 is the way to go.......

There is a still a knob to do things the old way.

There are three anchor pads to rest and steady your hand.

You get victor airways, which the 430 doesn't have. In some parts of the country, this is invaluable, since they won't let you go direct. I remember one occasion which it took me 10 minutes to look up all the intersections and reprogram a 430 when my route was changed mid flight. Rubber banding on the 650 makes that change a no brainier.

The 650 is current product and will have a longer support live and better resale value. I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin kills the 430w by OSH.

We've got two 430's in two different planes right now, both "W" versions, new or upgraded within the last year and a half or so. I only have about ten minutes of ground play time on the 650, but if it had been available when we had to pull the trigger on the 430's, I would have given strong consideration to 650 - it's a nice unit. We'll stick with our choice until a better offer comes along - but I'll be honest, I'd love to have the 650!

Last edited:
Buying an "obsolete" product doesn't make any sense to me. All electronics fail at some point and it will need repair (my personal observation), you may end up with an expensive paperweight when it comes time for service.

The 430's resolution/graphics were obsolete, when I purchased my Garmin 296......many years ago. I've since owned a 496 & 696 hand-held.

Thanks

To you that responded, THANKS! I appreciate your opinions and it was unanimous, go for the 650. I will setup the install for next week.
Don