cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I have been using Garmin 430s for 5+ years without problems until 6weeks ago when I could not update the data from Jeppesen. Error message "card not found". After a LONG discussion with Jeppesen, they said it was a faulty card & sent me another one which was, as I recall, about $50 give or take. With the new card, I was able to update TWICE without problems. However, yesterday, I tried to update and again got the error, "Card not identified". Jeppesen is closed for Memorial Day weekend and I had planned a 350 mile trip. :(
Anybody with the same experience? What is happening? Any suggestions?

garmin Card

Before you do anything, try your card in someone else's radio. Also, be sure you have it in the right slot. I have seen that message when the card was accidently placed in the terrain slot.

Sam B
7A

My problem is that the Jeppesen programmer will not update the 430 data card and worse than that it erased the old data on the card so that the 430 GPS is totally unusable. The programmer says it can't find the "hardware" (card). Windows XP/Win7 says the hardware is working as is the driver.
All the other pilots with 430's are gone for Memorial day and I can't find another
Jeppesen programmer to see if that would work.
I hope I will not be required to purchase another data card or programmer. After all my "new" card is only 6 weeks old and the one before that was only 2 years old. :(
They are costly and also might not be available in time for my trip up to Wilmington Sound/Oak Island/Bald Head Island, NC next week.

Cleve

I think I still have a card for 430 ( non was ). I upgraded to 430W and it takes a different card. Sent me your phone number. I am just south of Atlanta, kffc.

Thank you for the kind offer, but mine is a WASS unit also and I don't think the cards are compatible with the different units.
Again, thank you. Have a wonderful Memorial Day.

When doing the 430 update

I often have to unplug my USB cord from the card reader and allow the computer to "find" the drive again. If I don't the Jeppesen program tells me "hardware not detected". Just getting out of the program, unplugging, and re-connecting the card reader usually corrects the problem.

Hardware

I often have to unplug my USB cord from the card reader and allow the computer to "find" the drive again. If I don't the Jeppesen program tells me "hardware not detected". Just getting out of the program, unplugging, and re-connecting the card reader usually corrects the problem.

I have had the same experience, the issue was the PC not "seeing" the reader. The card wasn't the issue, the hardware was fine, the problem was the PC's software. Interestingly, I haven't had a problem since buying a new (cheap) laptop.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA