RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Listers

I'm in the process of upgrading my GPS in my RV-4 and since a lot of you are using GNS 400/430 GPS I have a few questions if you don't mind...

1.- Can a GNS 400 display XM Weather and is a separate antenna required??

2.- Anyone of you using a Comant combinaison GPS/XM antenna with a GNS 400 and if so how well does it work?

3.- Is a separate annunciator panel required if the GPS is hooked up to a Dynon Skyview for IFR operation??

The unit will be installed in a center console in an RV-4...

Thank you for your feedbacks..

Bruno
[email protected]

1. The GNS series can display XM weather but you must have the GDL69 box as well.

2. I don't have experience with this one

3. No as long as the unit is mounted within the dimensions and field of view requirements called out in the installation manual....Not sure the center console of an RV4 will work.

Brantel has it correct. My comments:
1. The Required GDL69 is expensive
2. I use a weatherworx receiver to feed my efis (GRT) and I just throw the small antenna (half dollar size) on the glare shield, works fine.
3.As Brantel says, check the installation manual. But the center console, below the nominal panel, is almost certainly too low. If the Dynon will display the annunciations in the lower left of the 400 (terminal, LPV, etc) then that will work. Otherwise you'll need lights within the field of view specified. The 400 has output pins just for this function.

GNS 400/430

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for the info.

I just read an article on WASS GPS installation and in there it is mentionned that the display has to be within 11.3 in. from the corner of the unit so I guess an annunciator might be required if the Skyview can't display the annunciations...

I have an annunciator already but would prefer to go within it if possible since panel room is a rarity on an RV-4....

I will need to check this with Dynon..

Thanks again

Bruno