Ok, how many R beta testing these? Paul? Doug? anyone else?
How good is the screen in bright Sun? Being a touchscreen typically hampers good Sun readability...how about this one?

[ed. Not me. I found out about it with everyone else this morning. dr]

{ ed: I'm with Doug.....learned about it in this morning's news..... Iron}

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're one of those folks who purchased in the last day or two because of the pricing, you'll get taken care of (at least my customers will)! :)

Cheers,
Stein

I really wish they would stick with one form factor. But every new model is significantly different in size and shape over their predecessors. Much as I'd love to upgrade but I'm not because my panel is layed out with a 396 right in the middle.

I really wish they would stick with one form factor. But every new model is significantly different in size and shape over their predecessors. Much as I'd love to upgrade but I'm not because my panel is layed out with a 396 right in the middle.

Looks like it's about the same size as the 696. Can anyone confirm? Would be nice if it is, so that it could replace a docked 696.

Cost of data updates would make or break this for me--iPad+Foreflight is just too cost-effective.

-Rob

I've been using the iPad for a few months now but have concluded I need three things - serial out to the AP, better sunlight readability, a little smaller since the iPad is crowded in an RV-8 cockpit.

Garmin's Aera 796

Here's a review with video by our own Dave Hirschman. Subscription prices are also provided in the article.

Last edited:
"A subscription to geo-referenced FliteCharts for the 796 is $199 a year, and a database bundle that includes all charts and navigation data is $499. Garmin’s SafeTaxi system and AOPA Airports directory are included at no additional charge."

So this is the Ipad killer hu? ~$2500 for the box and $500 a year for databases....hmmmm......vs $500 for an 3G 32GB Ipad1 and $150 a year for full updates and georef charts on Foreflight.

Looks nice, looks like it has a much better screen than the IPAD but to much $$$$$$

I'm looking forward to someone doing an unbiased side-by-side comparison of the 796 vs. the iPad 2 with Foreflight.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to someone doing an unbiased side-by-side comparison of the 796 vs. the iPad 2 with Foreflight.

Sure is an interesting time to be in aviation. I am in the process of upgrading my panel for the second time; and have been wrestling with all of the possibilities that are available to us. I like all of the features that Foreflight offers (on an Android tablet of course) but it doesn't fulfill a few of my more important requirements. Real time weather and the ability to drive a stand alone autopilot aren't covered; so an additional piece of equipment with its own unique UI would be needed.

Last edited:
Same way you work a normal button in turbulence. In fact, the way the Garmin works I have found that I 'miss hit' buttons less on it than I do the real buttons on my EFIS. It's because the Garmin requires you to 'press' the screen for about a second.

The Aera is great but the screen could be brighter in the sun.

How do you work a touch screen in turbulence? :confused:

Connectors & mount - compared to 696?

For those of you with detailed knowledge:
Does the 796 use the same Power/Data connector and Audio plug as the 696?
What about the XM weather antenna. Is it the same antenna or a new one?
Does it have a RAM mount similar to the 696?

For those of you with detailed knowledge:
Does the 796 use the same Power/Data connector and Audio plug as the 696?
What about the XM weather antenna. Is it the same antenna or a new one?
Does it have a RAM mount similar to the 696?

The 796 is up on Garmin's web site now. It appears to use the same
XM antenna, GXM 40, as the aera 5XX and the 696. The power data cable
and the mounting of the 796 is similiar to the Aera series, so no, it doesn't
use the same cable as the 696. There is no bare wire cable listed in the available accessories yet that would allow you to send the RS 232 signal to
an efis or auto pilot or to hard wire power. I'll bet that will be available
eventually like the Aera series. I've watched or read everything yet
posted, and it looks pretty cool.

nice claim of 3d... not.

The garmin claim of 3d seems spurious to me. According to the ANN description, there is nothing 3d about it, only a changing perspective.

Complete marketing poppycock

It's easy!!!

How do you work a touch screen in turbulence? :confused:

This is a misconception that because it is touch screen that it is more difficult to operate in rough air. Not the case at all. As Sid noted, even buttons and knobs are hard in turbulence.

The 650 and 750 both have area on the sides to assist. Looks like the 796 has the same deal.

The author of the Flying Magazine story just couldn't bring himself to say the new Garmin units are better than an iPad. Makes sense if a portable is what you want. Yearly updates are $499 plus XM subscription. AvWeb has a nice video of the unit http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/ExclusiveVideo_AviationConsumer_GarminAera796_205367-1.html. There are some nice features but I'll stick with my HTC Flyer 7" Android tablet running Naviator with $50/yr total update cost. I think where the new Garmin units will be really nice though is as panel mounts for those looking for simple VFR panels. Touch screens are the "future is now". In my opinion I think Garmin still doesn't get it. Tablets are where the portable market is right now and they come out with a new and ridiculously expensive unit they will be trying to sell. They missed a great opportunity to make any inroads with tablet users and future tablet users and are gambling that their name alone will sell these in any numbers close to where the 1/2/3/4-96's sold.

Oh, and on the video take a close look at the little airplane on the Garmin synthetic vision screen. I think Garmin is sucking up to us.

Last edited:
To expensive.

In my opinion I think Garmin still doesn't get it. Tablets are where the portable market is right now and they come out with a new and ridiculously expensive unit they will be trying to sell. They missed a great opportunity to make any inroads with tablet users and future tablet users and are gambling that their name alone will sell these in any numbers close to where the 1/2/3/4-96's sold.
Mike I agree. If I only need a back up, why would I buy a Garmin at that price when I can buy a ipad for a third of the cost. Now for a primary vfr nav maybe.:confused:

iPad 3

One thing that bugs me about Garmin stuff is the cost of the updates. Otherwise, great stuff.

The new iPad 3 is reported to be out in the first Quarter of 2012. Since Apple never envisioned the iPad/2 being used in aircraft, they are making some significant changes, including an improved screen for outdoor use.

Google iPad 3 for information.

I'm also asking myself, how much stuff do we really need in these planes?? Are we getting it because we can, or because we need it?

If all Apple does is add the Retina display to the Ipad 3, that won't help the Sunlight readability of it. At least it did nothing for the Iphone in the Sun.

Hope they do better than that!!! This 796 is just too costly long term!

If all Apple does is add the Retina display to the Ipad 3, that won't help the Sunlight readability of it. At least it did nothing for the Iphone in the Sun.

Hope they do better than that!!! This 796 is just too costly long term!

I would bet most of the 696's are running with outdated databases. If you are flying IFR then you are more than likely paying for the 430 updates already and I think you can update all of the devices in your plane from the one update subscription. Garmin does seem to be targeting Experimentals so we may see additional movement toward making affordable solutions available.

I pulled the trigger on a G3X upgrade to my panel with the latest price reduction. Mine is still strictly a VFR panel, as I can't afford a 430 yet, so the databases for my G3X and 696 will only be updated on an "as prudent" schedule.

Last edited:
I'm also asking myself, how much stuff do we really need in these planes?? Are we getting it because we can, or because we need it?

Well said Darwin! I just flew my airplane in August and my 696, which was the only 'current' instrument in the panel, is now 'old'.
I think you need to have a wheelbarrel full of money or an avionics shop, or both, to keep up. I love my 2 generations old AFS 3500EE and other bits in my panel. I tell the guys at work how capable the stuff is in my 'homebuilt' and they can't believe it!

PS I'm not anti tech and I'm proud our industry has enbraced it, but I'm just not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
Upgrading

Every year I try to upgrade the -8A. It is part of the fun of having an
experimental. Last year I added an Altrak. This year I upgraded my 3500 to a 4500. My planned 2012 upgrade was to replace my 496 with a 696. Now it might be the 796. Even though I have and use an iPad, it is not a replacement for a panel mounted GPS IMHO. I update my 496 every year or so and would do the same with a 696/796. The ipad/foreflight subscription cost is the most cost effective method for always having current charts. But I wouldn't give up my Garmin!

Last edited:
If you are flying IFR then you are more than likely paying for the 430 updates already and I think you can update all of the devices in your plane from the one update subscription.

I wish that were true....no deal there. Each device requires its own updates. The 430W Aviation database is bought thru Jep. with their $50 card reader. The obstacle and terrain thru Garmin with their $200 card reader.

The Aera 510 in my plane requires its own updates. They all come thru Garmin via web download directly into the device. Serial # specific....

My spare 296 requires its own updates. They all come thru Garmin via web download directly into the device. Serial # specific....

The ipad/foreflight subscription cost is the most cost effective method for always having current charts. But I wouldn' give up my Garmin!

Like Tom also have the 430W for certified stuff, Aera 510 for weather and ease of use, and the IPAD for cheap plates and charts. Not sure I would ever replace one with the other. If the Ipad had a more usable screen brightness, I would be happy!

If the cost of ownership for the 796 were lower, I would consider replacing the 510 and the Ipad with the 796.

Like Tom also have the 430W for certified stuff, Aera 510 for weather and ease of use, and the IPAD for cheap plates and charts. Not sure I would ever replace one with the other. If the Ipad had a more usable screen brightness, I would be happy!

If the cost of ownership for the 796 were lower, I would consider replacing the 510 and the Ipad with the 796.

After thinking about my earlier post, and after reading through this thread, I now understand better how each gizmo has it's strong points.

Love these forums...best way to keep up with what's going on. :D

Is any one sharing a xm weather subscription

between a garmin and a primary flight display. I am looking at purchasing dynon skyview and a garmin 796. Would hate to think that I would need two subscriptions to receive weather on both. I am also aware that weather is unavailable with Dynon skyview at the present time. Sounds like it will be here soon?

Thanks,

Ryan

No sharing from a portable Garmin. The subscription goes with the receiver and in Garmin's portable world, this is the antenna.

There is no way to share this with the SV.