Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Just wondering for those that own a Garmin 396 or close variant, what are the pro's and con's with it?

I can pick up one for $600 that has been sporadically used. I know they are discontinued, but are there any serious issues with them?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

Nothing wrong with a Garmin 396 at all, certainly no serious issues. You can still update all of the data bases and use it for navigation, weather, and airport data. I think the 396 can get weather & XM Satillite Radio also if you add the XM antenna. It does not have the capacity to store ALL of the US road data like the 496, but you can add road data of the areas you are going to. It does not have the "Safe Taxi" or AOPA data about airports and local areas, but I use those so infrequently even going CC that it is a waste, IMHO.

Last edited:
If it was not used much, most likely the internal backup battery is bad unless it has been changed.

It is easy to change for someone with electronic skills...not so much for someone that is electron challenged.

It is a pain in the b u t t if it is dead. It will still work but it will take a long time to lock on to the sats each time it is booted up.

The only other negative that I have heard on these is that the audio output port is not isolated and can cause issues when you connect it to an intercom unless you put an isolation transformer in between em.

A trick I learned

The top right button is the Zoom out button and the lower left button is the power button. Press the Out button while you are pressing power and it will put it into quick search autolocate mode - it will lock on in a moment or two. A lot easier than replacing the battery. That battery issue is my only complaint with the 3/496. Otherwise they are great boxes.

It is a pain in the b u t t if it is dead. It will still work but it will take a long time to lock on to the sats each time it is booted up.

I found the autolocate faster than the regular method, it is still no where near as fast as when the GPS has an accurate time (no dead battery). I saw (before changing the battery) depending on how far off the clock is or if you moved far from where it was when you turned it off, both can take a long time.

Do the technicians at the Garmin tents at the big show replace those little batteries? I'm sure someone on VAF would know. They are a pain to replace, you have to solder in a new one after taking the unit apart. Not sure why Garmin made that so hard. :(

All I saw that new firmware did was force an autolocate at every reboot instead of you having to start it manually or with a key combo. It helps but still is nothing like as fast as when the battery works.

Other than this issue with the backup battery, the X96 boxes were really great units. Not sure why Garmin never fixed the issue since it has been around since the 296....sure hope my Aera does not use a similar approach.

Last edited:
I agree

I am sorry if I gave the impression it was as fast as with a battery, it is not. But it is much faster than turning it on and letting it just do its thing and that was my point.

I think that little battery is the only weak link in an otherwise outstanding product line. The fact is even with a battery problem, if the price is right they are impossible to beat. When my battery was inop (now fixed), it always acquired my position long before I was ready to take off. I usually turn it on while doing my preflight so it can download weather. By the time I completed the preflight, taxi, warm up, clearances, etc... it was alway available for use.

I found the autolocate faster than the regular method, it is still no where near as fast as when the GPS has an accurate time (no dead battery). I saw (before changing the battery) depending on how far off the clock is or if you moved far from where it was when you turned it off, both can take a long time.

If you don't mind totally taking the unit apart and you have fine soldering skills, you can do it. Otherwise it must be done by Garmin.

Battery Issue

Oddly enough, after 4.5 years of use mine will charge up just fine if plugged into 120v overnight. Was almost ready to do this PITA battery change when a post mentioned trying a good charge - and it works! Maybe just lucky.....

Sometimes that works sometimes it does not.

I do keep my new bat hot using this method about every two weeks for my old 296. Keeps it hot even though I do not actually use it often.

The 396 battery is a rechargeable

I had the same issue with mine a couple years ago where it delayed in finding position. Another thread in this forum confirmed the internal battery is a rechargeable. I plugged the unit into 120v for a full day with the unit turned on and the battery was recharged. After this recharge cycle it kept all custom settings and found itself as advertised. I now do this monthly. It seems that short flights do not give the internal battery a full charge from the cigarette lighter and it gradually loses energy. No need to replace it - just recharge it.

No need to replace it - just recharge it.

Yeah try this first but don't be shocked if it does not work...

This only works if your battery is not dead beyond recharging. I have seen several that can be connected to external power for days and the internal battery won't recharge.

This is a rechargable lithium battery. It is just like most of the lithium batterys, if you run it all the way down it can be damaged beyond its ability to ever be recharged.

Some are lucky and their battery either last longer or never gets killed.

It depends on how often you use the GPS while on external power and how long you leave it on charging. Often enough and it won't ever run down. Use it once every few months and it will die a slow death.

Last edited: