ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I currently fly with an Anywhere Map PDA GPS, and am pretty happy with it. However, I would like weather and my PDA system is too old to update with XM weather.

I have a very good deal on a 396. I have also been looking at the iFly 700. I e-mailed iFly about weather capability and they responded very quickly and completely. They said that they are going with ADS-B weather first as it is a free service.

That sounded great as the price of the iFly is less than I am paying for the 396. BUT, iFly didn't say when it would be available, and also said that an ADS-N receiver would cost between $695 - $800. That coupled with the $550 price of the iFly 700 is quite a bit more than what I am paying for the 396. I can get quite a few months of XM Aviator LT for the difference....

iFly also told me that Garmin is preparing to stop supporting the 396 and 496, and it would not be long before they are non-updateable.

So, two questions:

1) Are there less expensive options for an ADS-B receiver that would work with the iFly?

2) Does "non-updateable" mean that Garmin will no longer offer unit operating system updates, or mean that Garmin will no longer offer map updates?

I'm still considering the iFly, so would like as much info as possible...

Thanks,

Chris, I would consider the 396 option for the moment. You can always sell it to go another route. The used prices have dropped so much in the last month you can't get hurt to bad. 496's are now going for well under 1000 and I just picked up a nice 696 for under 1500. A 396 with all the accessories in great shape should only be around 600.00 if not lower.

George

ifly 700

I own both a 496 and the ifly 700.

I am quickly liking the Ifly700 more than my Garmin.
The screen is twice as large and the unit is touch-screen.
It also has a remote control which is nice.

New features are being added so quickly to the ifly700 that a return visit
to their website was amazing. The software updates are free and the entire database is only $89 a year. VFR and IFR. It now supports ADS-B as well
a ton of new features it didnt have a few months ago.

Be cautious on your purchase of a used Garmin.
I have seen several with the protective glaze wiped off the screen
by using windex instead of an approved cleaner. Also, beware of used units
with the databases being way out of date, dead batteries, and missing cables. You can spend hundreds of dollars as Garmin data updates and accessories are Expensive $.

A nice clean 496 with good battery, all cables and relatively up to date databases still sells for $1200.
A new Ifly sells for $549 if I recall.

the Ifly is at least worth looking into, even if you have your heart set on Garmin.

2) Does "non-updateable" mean that Garmin will no longer offer unit operating system updates, or mean that Garmin will no longer offer map updates?

Operating system firmware updates for their portables are few and far between, even for "current" products.

Map/database updates have historically been available for all Garmin products for years after the unit is EOL'ed. Normally the limiting factor has been when the new database size exceeds the amount of physical memory in the GPS unit.

I can still get current map updates for my old Garmin GPS-92 handheld that's been a discontinued unit for the better part of a decade now.

Chris, I don't know if you have had a chance to try the iFly but if you have not I will bring mine to Haller tomorrow. I like it and find it more intuitive than Foreflight but I use both as the iPad is a lot of fun. The company is very responsive as you have already discovered and they put out updates for the system quite often not to mention unlimited data downloads for a low annual price. There was a group on the iFly forum negotiating a group buy on an ADS-B receiver. I haven't checked the status of that so I don't know where it stands.