npowell

Well Known Member
Help Please. I am torn between buying a used Garmin 396 and a used AvMap. I like the big, easy to read screen on the AvMap, but the 396 would fit my panel a little better and it has the WX potential. I would appreciate any advice from users of these two (have already read all the relevant posts).

One more question: is the WX really useable enought to be worth the $30 per month subscription?

thanks in advance for any advice.

Neal P.

RV-9A
Wings in process
Quickbuild fuse coming soon

I have the AvMap IV and really like it. Easy to use, VERY nice display and provides all the data for my EFIS and AP, just like it is supposed to. I am really frustrated that they don't have weather out, however. We saw it demoed at Ohskosh last year and have been promised WX for about two years.

Bob Kelly

Neal - I'm a big Lowrance fan, so for me as a VFR pilot I think you would find that neither the Garmin nor the EKP-IV provide anywhere near the features-per-dollar that one finds in the Lowrance 2000c.

Having said that, my brother flies with both a 296 and an EKP-IV in his airplane. The EKP is panel-mounted and drives the Trio autopilot. The Garmin is up on the glareshield and provides backup info. With this setup in mind I'll make the following comments:
1) Garmin user interface is much friendlier than that of the EKP
2) Garmin lasts a long, long time on internal batteries. The EKP also has internal batteries but that big screen sucks them dry in under an hour.
3) EKP display is simply fantastic, and is very readable with a bubble canopy. The Garmin has a little cardboard glareshield projecting out around the top and sides to render it more readable in the sunlight.
4) EKP "course predictor" function makes it very, very easy to fly direct to any given waypoint. This is a great tool.
5) hardware reliability on both the Garmin and the EKP has been disappointing. My brother got 4 bad 296's in a row (manufacturing defect common to that entire shipment) but since then it's worked just fine. The EKP has failed twice, the first time the factory wouldn't disclose what went wrong, the second time the input power pin solder connection failed at the processor board. With that having been said, a local pilot ran into the same out-of-box failure condition with brand new Lowrance 2000c GPS units last year. He got 2 bad ones before Lowrance corrected the problem. I've had no problems with my Lowrance at all.

Neal
I have the Garmin 396 with wx and love it. If you fly alot of long cross countrys the wx feature is a very useful resource. I flew my RV home to VA. from PHX and was very glad to have the wx available at all times, and used it alot. To me it is worth the 30.00 bucks.

Bill

Thanks for the great responses

I really appreciate the input. Sounds like they all have their pros and cons. I am still not sure, but your responses helped.

Neal

Canadian Joy,
I am not closed to the 2000C; the horizontal display of the others fits my panel better. Anything you would add to your previous post about the benefits of the Lowrance?

Money issues.

Garmins hold their resale ( + trade-in) value extremely well.

Database updates for the Garmin are $35 each for one-time updates.
Avmap's website shows the Jeppesen "Americas" map downloads to be $78.

The giant color screen of the EKP-IV has always intrigued me but I'm a cheapskate who only would spring for a cheap used Garmin 196 for my plane. I'd love to have a color screen, but the monochrome 196 gets me from point A to point B just fine and is a lot of bang for the buck. Another big plus for the Garmins is that once you've learned how to operate one model in the x96 line, you can operate them all. Someday I may trade up to a color Garmin x96 model, but I need to start spending my money ordering bits of aluminum from Oregon instead ;-)

Last edited:
Neal,

The horizontal orientation of the Garmin is good, but the vertical orientation of the EKP-IV provides a much nicer presentation for flying. Since we're flying what matters most is what's ahead of us, making the "track up" presentation the most logical and useful presentation, and of course GPS's with vertically-oriented displays seem to have an advantage in this respect. Both the EKP-IV and Lowrance units offer this orientation. Of course if you can't fit this into your panel then it's a bit of a moot point.

As for the Lowrance, I very much like mine. The user interface is, to my way of thinking, miles ahead of the EKP-IV, and a good bit easier to use than the Garmins. Like the Garmin, if you learn one Lowrance product then they all work the same, making it easy to have a 2000c in the panel and either a 1000 or a 600c as a backup unit or as a secondary unit available to your "backseater".

One of the other Lowrance advantages is that the Lowrance box is WAAS-enabled right out of the box. The diagnostics page shows signal strength for the GPS satellites as well as for the WAAS signal. When in any of the other screens a little yellow asterisk shows up in the top right corner of the display when WAAS is being used. And WAAS makes quite a difference in position accuracy.

The Garmin units win the contest hands-down when it comes to battery consumption, so either the Lowrance or EKP-IV should be connected to ships power. The Lowrance has a built-in antenna that works quite well, and its external antenna (which is lightweight and suitable more for "indoors" installations than external fuselage mounting) does a good job of picking up satellites if the GPS is installed in the panel where its internal antenna is hidden from clear view of the sky.

I think there are several features of the Lowrance that make it not just value-packed but also a very useful tool. The MapCreate program that comes with the Lowrance allows you to make high-detail topographic maps and store them on the units SD card. As an example, I have a Jepp database plus topographic map coverage of about 75% of Canada on a 1GB SD card. The only limitation is that individual topo maps can't exceed 500MB in size, which is no big deal since you can store multiple files on one card. Having the topo maps loaded in addition to the aviation database and base mpas gives the pilot a huge amount of information, far more than one would find on a sectional, and the detail level is automatically set by zoom level so the display doesn't get cluttered.

Jepp updates with the Lowrance are straightforward. I can't remember how much they cost - it just gets billed to my credit card, but if memory serves they're very much in line with the figures quoted for the Garmin, above.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that all the Lowrance features come at a price tag below $700? I guess for some folks that's the biggest single feature. Why buy a used Garmin when you can get a new Lowrance for less money?

GPS Decision

I just received an email from pilotmall.com and they have the Lowrance 2000C with terrain software on sale right now for $600! If you can't justify spending the monthly fee for weather, the Lowrance is the best option, in my opinion. :)

great gps value

By far the best features per dollar nav system is the Flight-systems APIC map program that loads on most Windows based laptop, pda, or tablet with bluetooth and a cheap plug-in gps receiver. Similar to Anywhere Map but better imho.

The software is free, as are the updates, and it can easily be upgraded to include WX and a full glass cockpit if desired. It also provides a feed for controlling common autopilots.

:)Go to www.flight-systems.com to check it out.

Bad Link?

By far the best features per dollar nav system is the Flight-systems APIC map program that loads on most Windows based laptop, pda, or tablet with bluetooth and a cheap plug-in gps receiver. Similar to Anywhere Map but better imho.

The software is free, as are the updates, and it can easily be upgraded to include WX and a full glass cockpit if desired. It also provides a feed for controlling common autopilots.

:)Go to www.flight-systems.com to check it out.

Tried to check it out but it didn't work for me. Tried .net & .org just in case but nothing came up but error messages.