RFazio

Well Known Member
I'm installing a Garmin 396 into an Air gizmo panel mount. I bought the data/power cable also, to power it and to connect it to the skyview serial ports. The cable also comes with sound out. Has anyone connected these to an audio panel? I'm wondering what sounds I will get out. Alerts, button presses? I'm wondering if it's worth connecting it up. Thanks for any info

If you want XM radio ...

The audio out, wired to your audio panel/intercom, will allow you to hear alerts ("Terrain ... terrain ... pull up! ... pull up!") -- which get really irritating and you'll probably turn them off -- as well as XM radio, if you have that hooked up (and pay for it, naturally).

Actually, just to be clear, the XM audio does not come through the power/data cable audio wire - it comes out the 1/8" audio jack on the back of the unit. I agree with Don though - I never hooked up the hardwired audio, as Betty never seemed to figure out that you HAVE to get low in order to land, and hearing "Terrain! Terrain!" in the flare is annoying....

Actually, just to be clear, the XM audio does not come through the power/data cable audio wire - it comes out the 1/8" audio jack on the back of the unit. ....

Oops. My bad. Didn't read carefully enough. I thought he was referring to the audio out jack. Sorry ... :rolleyes: