Got the interface cable in the mail today to hook my 396 directly up to the aircraft systems but I 'm finding the manual sadly lacking on serial port info. Lots of data regarding port 1 NMEA out to other systems but nada on port 2 or eactly what port goes to the Garmin 330 if you want TIS data.

Anyone out there know the scoop on exactly what port 1 and 2 is used for what?

- Jim
RV8A ( N89JA - sold )
RV9A ( N929JA - panel )

Interesting....

Howdy Matt,

That would make my life a lot simpler, however the cable has a tag attached that tells me the following:

RED: DC INPUT
BLUE: PORT 1 OUT
WHITE: ALARM
ORANGE: VOICE(-)
VIOLET: PORT 2 OUT
BLACK: GROUND
YELLOW: PORT 1 IN
BROWN: VOICE(+)
GREEN: PORT 2 IN

This is what prompted the question.

Do you suppose this was a manufacturing error or did I get a bonus port that no one else got :D

- Jim
www.rvpilot.com

Hey Jim... I got the same cable and had the same questions as you. Page 158 of the manual shows the connections. It appears as Matt said, there is no Serial 2 available. I wish there was! On the unit, it has provisions for: power (red), ground (black), data in (yellow), data out (blue), alarm (white), voice + (brown) and voice - (orange). I suspect the cable is also made for the auto and marine versions. I think the marine has more output options.

I terminated my cable with a 9 pin D-Sub connector. And all I have running from it now is power, ground and data out (to my EFIS and autopilot).

Still wondering the best way to connect it to my audio panel but that's another discussion.

It does mention that you can hook it up to an SL-40/SL-30 and/or GTX-330. But I dont know if you only get one choice... the radio, xpdr or g
ps data out.

Hi guys,

The 396 definitely only has one serial port - the cable is a part that Garmin also produces for marine products that have two, which is why the label is a little bit misleading. There are multiple options for the serial port setup; a couple of the choices include simultaneous output of both GPS (NMEA) and SL30/40 frequency tuning data, which I think is what the previous poster was after.

good luck,
mcb

Yes indeed.

Ok, got the big picture here. Yes there appears to be lots of cross over for the marine use of this box. Speaker out for one as it's an amplified out that has no business going into an audio panel ( see thread on this subject in the archives ).

Well, super. Looks like the options on the menu suggest that I can drive TIS data input on port 1 ( by default ) and output will be to an autopilot as none of my radios will take direction from a GPS at this time.

Thanks a million.

- Jim
rvpilot.com