skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
For those of you who have the MX20, how do you like it? Was it worth the $$$? I know they are really two different animals, but in terms of utility, what do you think about the 396 when compared to the MX20?

I've used the MX20 extensively (300 hrs in our Cardinal) and a 296 briefly. The MX-20 is an amazing display. I love the symbology, especially tied into the SL30/GX60 we have along with it. It is truely integrated, and works beautifully. That said, I don't think it is worth the extra $3k unless you want:

Traffic display (pretty crowded on the 396 screen already, and avidynes new 600 series TCAS systems look tempting :)).

Or if you plan on using ADS-B in the future (which I will be planning on).

We'll see when I get to that point in 3-5 years, but as of right now I'm planning on an airgizmos mount of a 396 instead of the MX20, but if I had more money, I'd spring for it. Of course, I'd rather have a GNS480/396 combo than a 430/MX20 combo.

I think the answer is .....it depends on what you are wanting to use it for.

I have used the MX20 CNX 480 combo with data link weather and traffic extensively in a Cessna 310 and 414. It is a marvelous combo for hard IFR and eliminates totally the need for reams of paper in the cockpit.

It does however consume a lot of real estate on the panel.

The 396 is truly a marvelous piece of equipment for navigation and weather.

My preference would be for the 396 and one of the tablet based chart/moving map systems as opposed to an MX 20.

Someone is selling a nice U750 and software at a great price in the classified section. I'd jump on it.

Looking at the cost of ownership, the MX20 is much higher for each feature added. Wx, chartview, traffic and db updates are very expensive.

You cant beat the size and clarity of the MX20 for terrain, airport features, and other important facets for IFR work. If you dont spend much time there you are waisting your money.

I much preferr My MX20 over the handheld. But I am paying for it severly.
Best,