ccryan

Hi guys, hoping someone can help...

I have a Garmin 396 which I'm going to panel mount in my -8, and want to interface it with my Dynon D-10A with 2 axis autopilot. I'm curious how/where I get the data cable for the Dynon interface and how are you guys wiring these 396's for power, antennae, and audio output. Do I use the supplied cigarette lighter power supply or is there a better way?

I appreciate any info you guys may have.

Chris

Hi Chris,

It's really simple. You just get the Power/Data cable (most places carry them and we usually keep them in stock) and then hook up one single blue wire to the Dynon....it's that easy! Oh...you also have to hook up power & ground, too.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks. I just didn't see anything that was an obvious choice. So is the audio for the XM just tapped right off the audio jack on the bottom of the unit?

That is correct. You simply purchase or fabricate a simple audio cable that can either be wired directly into the music input to the intercom, or "plugged in" to an aux/music input jack on the intercom or audio panel.

Cheers,
Stein

Yes - don't be fooled by the wire on the harness designated as "audio." It provides nothing useful...

I thought the audio wires in the harness were for alerts from the X96?

No, they are for using the "automotive adapter" for driving. If you look at that adapter it has a speaker in it. The 396/496 will use that speaker on the adapter for turn-by-turn directions (there is no internal speaker on the x96 units). So basically that wire is for turn by turn directions in auto mode.

I use just the audio jack on the back of the unit and I get all of the pertinent audio from there...XM radio, Terrain alerts, etc.

Antenna Wiring

You can cut and splice the provided cable. It is not recommended and can be a bit tricky with the small #28 guage wires, but if you are handy with a soldering iron, it can be done. Make sure you "tease" the shield so you can crimp or solder it.
I have done this on my 296 and 496 Antenna both GPS and XM. Otherwise you need pretty large holes to get the connectors through the panel (mine is surface mounted on the panel not recessed), or glare shield.

Also, be aware that it will void your warranty on those items.
300 hours and working perfectly.

Anyone have problem with this function with the 5.2 update? Just updated two aircraft today and they are not showing cross wind components now.
Ron